Is Froyo the last biggie?General

Last Updated:

1. Rossco_Pee

Rossco_Pee Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Or is there something in the pipeline that the wonderful developers can port for our Eris?

Advertisement
  2. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

I'm sure 2.2 will be the last. 3.0 will probably be too big of a revision, and may not even run on ARMv6 processors (like what the Eris has) anymore for all we know.

3. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

Hard to say, really.

The G1 forum on XDA is still very active, no?

eu1

4. rick311

rick311 Well-Known Member

by the tine 3.0 comes out, we will all be due for upgrades.

5. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

Well, punk.kaos over at XDA released an albeit "early" version of Froyo just hours after the source code was released...

I'm sure some enterprising dev will take on the challenge...now, how well that translates into a usable ROM, that's another matter...:)

6. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Well-Known Member

xda and the devs are gonna give users the most up to date ports they can on devices they have. Since the Eris came out in November of 2009, and 3.0 is due out in three months most people will still have a whole year left on contract. If you've been keeping up with the many android sites out there, 2.2 was ported to the G1 not to long ago(with features missing) which proves that devices can run OSs not designed for them with sacrifice.
    So 3.0 on the Eris? I have a feeling it can and will be done

7. smacky

smacky Banned

3.0 will be out in the next two months. Earlier for N1 owners since it's a dev phone.

3.0 has strict specifications. It basically weeds out most of the antiquated and bottom-tier Android phones. They may port 3.0 for the "lesser" devices, but like someone mentioned, a good bit of the features may be taken out as they will require the screen size and processor requirements, which I can't remember what they are exactly off the top of my head.

So you may see it, or you may not. They may take the code and thoroughly revise it so it fits the G1, at least. But with my experience with 3.0, the specs are in place for a reason.

8. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

They aren't requirements, but instead minimum recommended configs, but it is 1 GHz CPU and 512 MB RAM. (Also 3.4" display, I believe.)

9. Fynx

Fynx Well-Known Member

I know I will be disappointed with 3.0 on my eris, but I am sure the dev's can update the setup with a custom rom. 1 GHz is a little to much for OC'ing the little guy. I love the phone, small enough shape and smooth profile style, and will just have to see what comes up within the next few months. If only the nexus 1 worked on verizon, maybe the nexus 2 will.

10. gospodinwizard

gospodinwizard Well-Known Member

From what I have read/seen 3.0 is based off an entirely different Linux kernel which some of the devs seem to feel could be a challenge.