is google sending out returned phones too people that buy a new one?

Last Updated:

1. 2003vstrom

2003vstrom Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I`m getting a little worried now because I was thinking about getting a NEW Nexus one, but from what I have been hearing, over on the support forum for the nexus one that they are sending out used phones to people, has anyone had a issue with getting a REFURB. instead of a new one? I wouldn`t be happy if I Paid for a new phone a recieved used refurbed phone:(

Advertisement
  2. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

Link? Source? I really doubt that a company as big as Goggle/HTC would do that. That would be very unethical business practice (product misrepresentation) and would make them liable to significant numbers of lawsuits. If you buy a new N1, you will get a new one. If you return your N1 due to some issues, you may/may not get a refurbish phone.

Actually when I got my N1 and took the items out of the box, I thought that I got a 'refurb' since the SD card was inside the phone and the battery was partly charged. But after reading around some of the forums, I concluded that this was what they did to all new phones sent out, lol. Hopefully that's the case XD

-roze-

3. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

I ordered mine first day and can confirm that is the case.

4. 2003vstrom

ook great thanks guys :D

5. Roze

I actually love the fact that the battery is partially charged, that means I was able to play with my phone out of the box, instead of having to wait for the phone to be charged a bit, lol.

6. 1080p

1080p Well-Known Member

I dunno about you guys... but every cell phone I have purchased for the past 5 years has come with at least 50% battery charge on it when I first power it on.

7. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

They'd probably send a refurb for a swap, but not a new purchase--bad move.

8. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

This is a rubbish post - you have no evidence & to be honest, if Google did this it would be completely unethical & they would get prosecuted by the authorities in the States......

Normal practice is to supply refurbished phones if you send your phone back during warranty period.

9. kaotix

kaotix Well-Known Member

Exactly how could you tell if it was a refurb? Even a refurb doesn't look like a 2nd user handset lol. I would honestly not worry at all about receiving a refurb from Google.

Like daffyduck said, it's agaisnt the law for a company to sell graded goods as a brand new item. Its mis-description for a start and I'm sure there's various other legalities surrounding it. On a side note, Google give these handsets away to developers for free so it's not like they don't have any stock to sell lol.

10. crabman

crabman Well-Known Member

Yeah, havent bought a phone without the battery partially charged for some time. As to the original post, not a chance in hell. It is true that some people who have sent the phone in for repair (they go to htc) have received refurbs in exchange rather than a new phone.

11. DellyBelly

DellyBelly Well-Known Member

Where have you "heard" this from? Seems like a pointless thread without that information.

Edit: Even if you said it was your sisters brothers cat; at least you have some references.

12. 2003vstrom

It was in my first post, It was over on the nexus support forum, but I guess I mis-read it, it`s actually poeple are getting refurbed phones for the exchange of the new ones they buy that have problems, please any mods delete the thread

13. ad fontes

ad fontes New Member

I can't verify the OP's comments. However, my first N-1 did arrive with a crack which propagated from one corner of the USB port and a small associated paint/plastic chip. I did, initially, think that I received a restocked unit. My inclination, though, is to believe that it was simply due to a poor QC procedure at HTC/Google.

Attached Files:

14. Roze

Oh man!!! That's REALLY poor QC. You really had bad luck, I mean what's the probability that you'd get a defective phone XD

15. jdog

jdog Active Member

I have written a lot of post on the support forums and if you buy a phone for the first time it is new but if you get a swap it is a refurb. Of course even though you have 14 days to return the phone if you do a swap because its defective you still get a refurb even if you have only had the phone for 24 hours. Here is a link to a forum that shows proof of what I am saying but good luck reading through 2000+ comments to find it. I am on my second refurb because of touchscreen and data connection problems and this one works to bad it took 3 months.