Is GPS app part of data plan?

Last Updated:

1. Robby368

Robby368 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi folks. I'm looking at downloading a golf app that utilizes GPS location for my Droid Eris. I have Verison with the unlimited mobile web and email. Does the GPS service fall into that or is it something seperate? Couldn't find any answers at verisonwireless.com...

Advertisement
  2. saltorio

saltorio Well-Known Member

GPS is free, as the GPS receiver is picking up signals constantly being sent by GPS satellites.

3. mrmojoz

mrmojoz Well-Known Member

Well in Verison's defense, you were asking the wrong questions.

4. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

The carrier really has nothing to do with it except for 1. aGPS devices that rely on the network for an initial fix and 2. providing data coverage for your GPS apps that need it.

There's nothing that you pay Verizon for GPS. There's no "service". The GPS receiver uses GPS satellites to determine your location, as mentioned above. Your GPS app may have a cost associated with it but that has nothing to do with Verizon unless they start offering GPS apps for Android.

5. Robby368

Robby368 New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks alot folks, sorry for the ignorance this is my first phone that does more than just make phone calls! I guess they should tell you that you gotta be smart to use a smartphone! :D

So I'm wondering why the heck would people pay $50 a year for GolfLogix (a smartphone golf program) when this 99 cent app apparently does the same thing??? I currently have a skycaddie which is a dedicated gps device just for golf, which is also $50 a year (plus the $350 to buy it), but that membership won't get renewed next year!