Is HTC Desire HD from 3 UK unbranded and unlocked?General

Last Updated:

1. leonl07

leonl07 New Member This Topic's Starter

Want to sign up for a contract with 3 UK but want to know if the Desire HD is locked and branded to the network......

Advertisement
  2. SithSurfer

SithSurfer Well-Known Member

It depends would be the answer. There's a word on the streets that Three DHD rom exists but no one reported having a branded 3 handset yet. Best bet is to go to the shop and ask the staff to turn one on for you. If it will be branded then just go to any retailer - CPW / P4U.

leonl07 likes this.
  3. leonl07

The Three store I visited didn't have a demo unit and only a dummy set so can't really find out whether it is locked or not.

4. jonrwg

jonrwg Well-Known Member

got mine from 3 and is unbranded. =D

5. leonl07

Thanks. Is it unlocked to all network?

6. jonrwg

jonrwg Well-Known Member

i think it should be because i can use my t-mobile sim card in it. You can ask them (3) for a demo before puchasing it?

leonl07 likes this.
  7. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

Basically check the software version, if it's x.xx.405.x then you're unbranded. If it's x.xx.771.x then it's branded

leonl07 likes this.
  8. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

What he said ^

The initial batch are unbranded/unlocked.

Apparently the branded/locked batch will be along soon.

leonl07 likes this.
  9. MrPie

MrPie Well-Known Member

Seriously. I might sound harsh but you really need to use the search function. It's been mentioned plenty of times that the DHD from 3 are indeed unlocked and branded. There was no need to create a thread if you used the search.

As far as we know all DHDs are unlocked and branded. However some companies do have mobile operator apps installed but this is all from the SIM card.

10. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

You're being worse than Spencer. Leave the guy alone.

Although people have bought unlocked from three there's enough doubt floating around to warrant clarifying.

leonl07 likes this.
  11. YPA

YPA Active Member

I suggest you don't touch 3 even with a barge pole.

No matter how good their contract may be go to someone else. Their reception is pretty bad, have very bad customer service and just wait and try to go to another carrier at the end of your contract.

12. claritanie

claritanie Member

I have to disagree about 3 - I live in rural Hampshire and have always had excellent coverage wherever I travel. Many times on trips away I laugh at friends on Vodafone and O2 who are struggling to get a signal when I have full 3G.

Once at home I lost my 5 bar signal and after a call to their techies they promised to look in to it and a week later called to tell me there had been a problem with my local mast but it was now fixed - and it was.

Yes, their call centre is in India and sometimes the people are difficult to understand but overall no complaints! And I got my DHD with 600 mins, 2.5GB web, 3000 texts, free phone for

13. leonl07

Thanks guys - this is very helpful.

I need to be on 3 as 3-3 free minutes are important for me. I have no problem with the reception in my city so no complaint about the network - barring the call centre.

14. goalc

goalc Well-Known Member

Hi, sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you check what software version it is? I presume this is somewhere under a menu?

I want to get an unbranded, unlocked one so I can use my current Vodafone sim so it seems that getting a sim free one from 3 seems the best way, as I cant see anywhere else that has them anywhere near this price.

If someone could kindly exlain how to check the version when I check the phone before buying, it will be appreciated :)

15. theoneana

theoneana Member

Goalc, you need to go to settings, about phone, software information :)

16. volvo940seturbo

volvo940seturbo Well-Known Member

Well I am seriously considering moving to 3, got my daughter a 3 contract with a wildfire, and a dongle for her laptop, have a wildfire on 3 payg myself, and reception is perfect for me. Have a desire on vodafone contract, and vodafone is a joke at the moment. Lived at my home address 18 years, been with vodafone for 4 years, and just recently the reception has been a joke. They sent me a suresignal box, and that is less than useless, customer services for vodafone is India based now as well, and their service is dreadful to say the least, only had to contact 3 twice once for each phone, and could not have had a better service.

Vodafone have lost the plot, tariffs are a rip off, customer services is a discrace, 5 contracts here will not be getting renewed on vodafone unless there is a marked improvement.

As for the DHD on 3 being locked, as yet no they are not, and according to the guy in my local 3 store, they are not going to be. There was a software being made for them, but changed their mind due to customer demand. Seems they prefer to allow the customer to be able to update the handset without delay, so they always have the newest release on the phone.

Will have to see if the 3 software gets released, but at the moment no sign of it happening.

The 3 store I was in, had a demo phone running generic software, two customers in the store got the DHD while I was in, and both were unlocked generic phones, as proven by the sales guy.

17. sa08

sa08 New Member

18. goalc

goalc Well-Known Member

Thats great, thanks :)

19. eozen81

eozen81 Well-Known Member

Hi all.

May I ask a retailer name that I can buy unlocked and unbranded Desire HD from London please? i.e. carphone warehouse??

20. WigglesGRN

WigglesGRN Well-Known Member

My DHD is from orange, its unbranded but locked to the network as all phones got from main dealers are, only CPW and other style independent dealers might sell Unlocked handsets.

Its how the networks make there money by forcing you to stick to them with a phone for 12/18/24 months

21. eozen81

Thanks a lot for reply.

Yes, I need those independent shop names :) Are there any apart from CPW?

22. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

Pretty much all non-Carrier shops will stock the unbranded DHD in the UK, I'd imagine it'd be the same overseas

23. eozen81

Guys I need spesific shop names in London just to tell my friend. Since she's a girl I need to be spesific that's why I am asking If there are any other shop names like Carphone Warehouse?

24. cracksquirrel

cracksquirrel Well-Known Member

lol, Classic.

Also, I don't think phones4u are carrier specific.

25. WigglesGRN

WigglesGRN Well-Known Member

yep thats right Phones 4 u and Carphone warehouse are the only two i can think of from the top of my head.