• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is HTC One X really this sensitive to water damage?

Korlath

Lurker
Jul 9, 2012
Hey Guys,

Just here wondering if any one else has had the following experience with their HTC One X...

So far I'm on my third HOX.

When I purchased my first HOX the AT&T salesperson recommended I purchase a zagg screen protector. I've had experience applying wet screen protectors before so I opted to apply it myself. Almost immediately after applying the screen protector my screen went black. It came back out, but it flickered. I let the phone dry out and the screen came back on and everything appeared normal. However, I noticed the screen was not as responsive as it was when I first purchased the phone. I downloaded a touch screen test app and it confirmed that there was a dead zone almost immediately below where the ATT logo is. The dead zone was a perfect rectangle. I was a little liberal with the liquid application, but not as excessive as I've been with my other phones. This was the first time I damaged a phone this way.

The AT&T store agreed to provide me with a second phone. This time I ordered a Skinomi screen protector and waited until it arrived in the mail before using the second phone. This time I used my own custom liquid application that I've used on all my other wet applications (got the recipe from best skins ever website years ago). This time I was extremely conservative in the amount of liquid I used. I made 100% certain that the liquid did not enter the phone. I wiped the liquid off very carefully as I applied the screen protector. The phone immediately started acting up upon turning it on. When I had first picked it up I had played with it a little before putting it back in its box. I'm certain it wasn't defective out of the box. The screen started to flicker on and off. The back light was on even when the screen went black. This time the screen problems did not correct themselves. I immediately tested the touch screen again and I had the same rectangular dead zone (though this time it was in the middle of the screen.

So now I'm on my third phone...and I'm scared to death of applying a screen protector or even touching the phone with wet fingers. It's almost as if the water is literally seeping through the screen...I'm shocked at how sensitive this phone is to water. I was hesitant to even pick a third phone up. I'm a Verizon customer switching to ATT just for this phone. I'm still within the 30 day trial period and the ATT store assured me if I wasn't satisfied I can always back out withing the 30 days trial period.

So I guess my question is....has anybody encountered this problem? Is the phone really this sensitive to water damage? Is this even water damage or is the phone not reacting well to the screen protectors?

My first HOX from CPW was sort of OK at first (some odd erratic behaviour), but after a week or so, I established that there was a rectangular dead strip in the middle intermittently. I posted about it here:
http://androidforums.com/htc-one-x-xl/569125-one-x-digitiser-has-intermittent-dead-strip.html
I've never put a screen protector on it, or got it wet, so I suspect your problem is a coincidence. Maybe pushing harder on the screen to apply the protector brought the problem to light? If you swap again, I would give it a good try before applying the protector. I'm now on my third (the second had marks on the top front of the body), and so far seems perfect.

Bruce

Upvote 0
I dropped my One X in a pool a couple weeks after I bought it and pulled it out quickly shook it off and blow dried it. Works perfectly fine for me. The case helped but it was a bit unresponsive on the screen for an hour or so as it dried out. After that perfect. HTC phones are built like tanks which is why my GF and I stand by them. You should see how much abuse her Sensation 4G has gone through with no problems.

Upvote 0
I've had my HOX since July now (won in a prize draw :) ). Although I am very careful with it, around a month ago I managed to splash about three large drops of boiling water on the screen whilst making tea.
I wiped it off immediately, of course, but with the display being so close to the glass I was terrified it would have done instant damage. It still seems fine.
Also, I have been caught in a downpour a couple of times while out cycling - the phone pocket on my cycling jacket is supposed to be watertight.
I'm not sure any rain actually got in (unless it ran down the headphone wire), but when I took the phone out there was a heck of a lot of condensation on it, front and back. This seems to have caused no ill effects either.

Upvote 0
i have had my HOX for around 3 months now. and everytime when while the screen gets wet, even just a little sweat ..the screen would stop responding and immediately after wiping the screen it would work normally. but just yesterdy i got a little sweat on the screen while talking on the phone, i wiped it off immediately but this time the two strips in the middle (123&456 on the dial) stopped responding permanently. The remaining part is as responsive as ever. is this a software issue or hardware issue? moreover i bought the phone in the U.S. and i live in nepal now. so will HTC replace my phone?this is the 2nd time i have a HTC phone damaged this way...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones