• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is ICS Better Thank Jelly Bean?

People said Gingerbread was better than ICS. They said the same thing about the battery life. And the same thing was said about Froyo to Gingerbread. I liked all of them. The battery life might be better on ICS due to less features. I must say, I would not want to go back. I like Jellybean. Can't wait for 4.1.2 and 4.2.2. Also looking forward to Key Lime Pie.

Upvote 0
I think its subjective. For me JB is lots better. Particularly 4.1.2

Battery life is no worse IMHO.

..and as said, reset after an upgrade. Thread linked in my signature

Exact same thoughts here, I've disabled any extra features I don't need and could argue that my battery life seems better than ICS even. Factory reset was definitely needed though as I did experience some trouble after updating.

Upvote 0
I assume as an operating system, JB is better than ICS - more features and more goodies.

With that said, I believe ICS is better for me than JB 4.1.1 and I have chosen to stay there. The reason is my phone works just like I want it in ICS and I have seen nothing in this release of JB that gives me anything I care about. Why would I take the time and risk of breaking something? When 4.1.2 comes available for AT&T, I will repeat the process and decide again as I have no clue as to what problems that release solves.

If I was buying a new phone, then I would prefer JB over ICS as it is the latest release and I assume better overall.

Mike

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
As a bit of a geek though I'll always update to the latest firmware just to try any new features out, if I needed to rollback due to issues then I'd do so.

I agree with this logically; however, as I understand, there is easy way to get back. If there was, I would gladly give it a go. However, I am not one to set out to sea in an unproven ship - AND burning the lifeboat for no return.

Mike

Upvote 0
I agree with this logically; however, as I understand, there is easy way to get back. If there was, I would gladly give it a go. However, I am not one to set out to sea in an unproven ship - AND burning the lifeboat for no return.

Mike

Can't say how easy it is for your model. For my model its simply a case of downloading the ics firmware and flashing with Odin, which if you have a guide, is a *reasonably* easy process

Reactions: Mikenk
Upvote 0
Can't say how easy it is for your model. For my model its simply a case of downloading the ics firmware and flashing with Odin, which if you have a guide, is a *reasonably* easy process

Interesting, I didn't know that.

At this point, I will probably wait until 4.1.2 is released for AT&T and give it a try. Hopefully, it will be an OTA update; I have not found any use for Kies and do not plan on ever using.

Mike

Upvote 0
Interesting, I didn't know that.

At this point, I will probably wait until 4.1.2 is released for AT&T and give it a try. Hopefully, it will be an OTA update; I have not found any use for Kies and do not plan on ever using.

Mike

4.1.1 is almost an incremental update. Hardly worth it in itself. 4.1.2 brings a few good features. 4.1.2 should have been the 4.1.1 update IMHO

Upvote 0
The battery bleed while in sleep mode appears worse than ICS on all three of my Android devices.

thats not true.. most ppl complain about worse battery drain on JB

yes i alreadcy downloaded a rooted ICS firmware. will be using odin to download it on my S3.

I assume as an operating system, JB is better than ICS - more features and more goodies.

If I was buying a new phone, then I would prefer JB over ICS as it is the latest release and I assume better overall.

JB is better in terms of perfromance, ie, more smooth and a bit faaster. BUT at a price. in exchange for that smoothness the battery has to suffer. thats the reason why JB drains more battery than ICS.

Upvote 0
Well, i was at first thinking ICS was better but after a few days with it running Apex, im really happy with it.

The phone runs even better than before and i didnt think that was possible, smooth as silk with Apex on JB. And this is just my opinion but my batter life seems a lot better, i can run pandora and text and surf for awhile before it starts clicking off my battery bar.

Such a great phone.

Upvote 0
Well, i was at first thinking ICS was better but after a few days with it running Apex, im really happy with it.

The phone runs even better than before and i didnt think that was possible, smooth as silk with Apex on JB. And this is just my opinion but my batter life seems a lot better, i can run pandora and text and surf for awhile before it starts clicking off my battery bar.

Such a great phone.

I have Nova but never use it. I will have to try Apex.

Upvote 0
My battery says ICS was better. It seems like the only way I can make my phone last any length of time now is to NOT use it. For anything. I used 62% of my battery this morning in only 5 hours with "practical" usage for me. (Watched 2 Boondocks episodes - 22 minutes each, a few Facebook posts, and about 2 hours of music. (2 hours screen on time)

Plus, my volume toggle lags pretty frequently by 1 or 2 seconds, as does my lock screen.

Upvote 0
My battery says ICS was better. It seems like the only way I can make my phone last any length of time now is to NOT use it. For anything. I used 62% of my battery this morning in only 5 hours with "practical" usage for me. (Watched 2 Boondocks episodes - 22 minutes each, a few Facebook posts, and about 2 hours of music. (2 hours screen on time)

Plus, my volume toggle lags pretty frequently by 1 or 2 seconds, as does my lock screen.

ha ha.. on ICS i used to get 25 - 34 hrs of battery life.

Upvote 0
The battery bleed while in sleep mode appears worse than ICS on all three of my Android devices.

On my SGS3, the battery drains a lot more on ICS than JB when in airplane mode. For the most part, battery life is better on JB than on ICS when in sleep mode except one time a month ago where it seemed to drain unusually fast. When using the phone, battery life between the two have been the same. That is my experience.

People said Gingerbread was better than ICS. They said the same thing about the battery life. And the same thing was said about Froyo to Gingerbread. I liked all of them. The battery life might be better on ICS due to less features. I must say, I would not want to go back. I like Jellybean. Can't wait for 4.1.2 and 4.2.2. Also looking forward to Key Lime Pie.

GB had better battery life than Froyo on my HTC Desire Z. Performance was a bit better on Froyo than on GB. It seemed to be a trade-off between better battery life on GB and better performance on Froyo.

I have Nova but never use it. I will have to try Apex.

I use Nova and it works great on JB. There are 2 things that I do not like about JB. First is that when you do not set up a default app, like a browser, under ICS, you are presented a list and you just have to tap the app you want to use and it launches it. Under JB, you have to tap the app and then you have to also tap <Just Once> or <Always>. It's like JB wants to annoy me into selecting default apps. This pisses me off.

The other issue I have is with the default music widget on the GS3. I configure Nova Prime to have 6 rows of icons (and no app tray). Normally, you have 4 rows of icons with an app tray (or equivalent of 5 rows). Under ICS, my 4x1 music player widget looks fine. Under JB, my 4x1 music player widget cuts off the name of the song which is displayed on the bottom of the widget. The widget cuts off the bottom third of the text line that displays the song and artist name. If I make it 4x2, then I can see the name without it being cut off.

For everything else, I really like JB. I am very happy with the update. I actually held off upgrading for a while because I already liked my phone running ICS. Once it seemed like JB is pretty good, I did the upgrade. There will always be people with issues here and there with any phone running any OS version.

Upvote 0
ha ha.. on ICS i used to get 25 - 34 hrs of battery life.

Madness, I tell you... madness...
I can only get that kind of life out of my Galaxy Player 5 if I leave it on on standby, but never with my phone. I think the most I got out of it was 10 days before. I took a picture, but my phone is off right now, charging a ridiculously large extended battery (6300mah). I hope that battery can give me your numbers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones