• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is Insurance worth it

So far nobody has posted any details about Squaretrade. I've never used them, but they are very highly rated (9.86/10 on Reseller Ratings). They charge $144 for 2 years of coverage on "premium" smartphones. You can cancel your insurance and be refunded the unused portion or you can transfer the insurance if you sell the phone.

They don't cover lost or stolen phones, but they do cover water damage. Accidental damage incurs a $50 deductible, however mechanical/electrical damage has zero deductible.

Limits on the service seem to be that you have to ship them the device for repair, etc. so you will be without a cell for a day or so. You have to purchase this insurance within 90 days of buying the phone. If the phone is still under the manufacturer warranty, they will refer you to Sprint for the repair in order to preserve your insurance coverage.

If any of you guys are familiar with this service, please share experiences as I'm moderately interested.

Upvote 0
How is it only $84 if you're on contract with the phone for 2 years? I don't think judging prices for one year is a fair comparison, unless you know you're going to ditch the phone after only one year (which actually seems to be the going rate for me - does sprint allow for a subsidized price phone upgrade after 1 year?)

If you are the only customer on an account with an evo then you will be eligible for upgrade after one year.

Reactions: JustFrozen
Upvote 0
when i had the touch pro i got it replaced 3 times without paying a cent...i have the $7 a month. When i got my blackberry i had to replace it once and i had to replace the battery once as well and didnt have to pay anything. I believe the 50-100 deductible is for lost/stolen or water damage. I for sure think its worth it...i basically got 3 phones for free with the amount of times i replaced them (not including initial purchase of the phones)...and i for sure would not mind paying 50-100 if i lose my phone or it gets stolen or falls in water rather than having to pay $3-400+ out of contract...so IMO $7/month or $84/year is absolutely worth it And necessary for the clumsy / absent minded people out there

Upvote 0
I mentioned this here too but I think your credit card would cover you for double the normal manufacturer's warranty (up to a year).

It'd probably be a bigger hassle with a few more strings, but it's something to consider since it's free and automatic.

Yes, I called my credit card company and they extend your warranty one year and cover theft and accidental damage for the first 90 days at no extra charge if you purchase with their card (both AmEx and MasterCard in my case). But it doesn't cover losing it.

Upvote 0
So far nobody has posted any details about Squaretrade. I've never used them, but they are very highly rated (9.86/10 on Reseller Ratings). They charge $144 for 2 years of coverage on "premium" smartphones. You can cancel your insurance and be refunded the unused portion or you can transfer the insurance if you sell the phone.

They don't cover lost or stolen phones, but they do cover water damage. Accidental damage incurs a $50 deductible, however mechanical/electrical damage has zero deductible.

Limits on the service seem to be that you have to ship them the device for repair, etc. so you will be without a cell for a day or so. You have to purchase this insurance within 90 days of buying the phone. If the phone is still under the manufacturer warranty, they will refer you to Sprint for the repair in order to preserve your insurance coverage.

If any of you guys are familiar with this service, please share experiences as I'm moderately interested.

You can only use it once though if stolen or damaged beyond repair. They will send you a check to cover the cost of a new one, but only once. If you get a new phone, you have to buy new insurance. If you are a premier member you can always buy a new one after one year, for almost the same amount as this insurance + deductible. No insurance is worth it unless you have the habit of breaking it, getting it stolen, losing it more than once a year.

Upvote 0
Insurance is never worth it if you don't need to transfer part of the risk to someone else and you have the funds to self insure the replacement cost. They offer it because, as a whole, it makes money. Since they don't really rate you on how much of an idiot or how forgetful you are, it might be good for you if you wouldn't be able to find your willy if it wasn't attached :D

Upvote 0
Certain Phones have a deductible even with insurance. You bet the farm the EVO has at least a $100 deductible w/ insurance. The cheaper phones have none.

I have been with Sprint for the past 9 years. Every time there has been an issue with my phone, whether its software or hardware, they have replaced the phone for a *refurbished* model. The refurbished model has always looked brand new, really, so I never really cared about getting an actual new one. Yes, I pay the $7 a month.

ALso, Ive never been asked to pay a deductible.

For what its worth, Ive never done the exchange over the phone via sprint. Ive always taken it to an actual Sprint retail store.

Upvote 0
I posted about this before, but sprint's $7 plan is actually two $4 plans in one. One is a service insurance and the other is the damage, theft insurance. You can get the latter without the former. Imo, this is a much better deal.

So the Total Equipment Protection ($7 per month) is two plans combined:
1) Equipment Service & Repair ($4/mo on its own): Coverage for failure from normal wear and tear and out-of-warranty mechanical and electrical failure.
2) Equipment Replacement Program ($4/mo on its own): Coverage for devices that are lost or stolen or have liquid or physical damage.

So does the Equipment Service plan cover anything extra the standard one year manufactures warranty would not cover anyway? If not, then I guess the only benefit is for equipment service issues beyond one year. But if you use a credit card that doubles the manufacturers original warranty, wouldn't you be covered the second year already? I guess the one extra benefit may be that it would be easier to file a claim with Sprint than your credit card company.

Phone Protection Solutions

It's difficult to get much info on the manufactures warranty on the Sprint site so I can't tell if Sprint covers more in year one.

I'm tempted to just go with the Equipment Replacement program for $4/mo and rely on the manufacturers warranty and credit card company (if needed for 2nd year, but by then I will be sporting an Evo 2 with snapdragon dual core).

Reactions: JustFrozen
Upvote 0
So the Total Equipment Protection ($7 per month) is two plans combined:
1) Equipment Service & Repair ($4/mo on its own): Coverage for failure from normal wear and tear and out-of-warranty mechanical and electrical failure.
2) Equipment Replacement Program ($4/mo on its own): Coverage for devices that are lost or stolen or have liquid or physical damage.

So does the Equipment Service plan cover anything extra the standard one year manufactures warranty would not cover anyway? If not, then I guess the only benefit is for equipment service issues beyond one year. But if you use a credit card that doubles the manufacturers original warranty, wouldn't you be covered the second year already? I guess the one extra benefit may be that it would be easier to file a claim with Sprint than your credit card company.

Phone Protection Solutions

It's difficult to get much info on the manufactures warranty on the Sprint site so I can't tell if Sprint covers more in year one.

I'm tempted to just go with the Equipment Replacement program for $4/mo and rely on the manufacturers warranty and credit card company (if needed for 2nd year, but by then I will be sporting an Evo 2 with snapdragon dual core).

#1) Most credit cards EXCLUDE cell phones from the extended warranty. Both my AMEX cards exclude it. Read the actual policy, do NOT go by what a CSR says. I was told it was covered but when I needed it they pointed me to the policy which is posted online.

#2) Yes, the manufacturers warranty is the same as the 1st years ESRP. You get nothing except the privilege of paying for the 2nd year. There is a way around it from what I understand. Swap with an el-cheapo phone then back to the EVO. You can then add the ESRP in year 2.

Reactions: GaryColeman
Upvote 0
Should I get insurance for evo?

what are pros and cons

I see the only con being 7 dollars a month??! help me decide. thanks

I would say yes get it at least for the first 6 months or so. People in the Incredible forum have been dropping there Incredibles and MANY have broken. I would get the policy up front and wait and watch the forum to see how many people have problems with broken dropped handsets then decide to keep it or not. The Incredible forum had several broken within the first 48 hours some with what sounded like minor drops.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones