Is it a good idea to wipe the phone to keep it running fast / clean?

Last Updated:

1. Paul7876

Paul7876 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

Every 6 - 12 months, I wipe my Windows laptop and start again, because uninstalling programs always leaves traces behind and eventually lots of stuff is left behind.
    My question is, would it be a good idea to do the same with my Android handset?
    I've noticed that sometimes an app will remember its previous settings if its uninstalled and reinstalled later. Does this mean loose files and settings are being missed? Does anyone else already do this?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. viva.fidel

viva.fidel Member

Some apps leave their data and/or settings on the SD card, but AFAIK uninstalling an app does remove it completely from Data/App & dalvik-cache on the phone, meaning a wipe may be a bit of a waste..

If you're into running a clean optimised system, why not wipe & install a custom stripped ROM

Paul7876 likes this.
  3. sitlet

sitlet Banned

It can't hurt to do a wipe, but Android is in no way comparable to Windows. If you want to do it, and dont have a lot of stuff to backup, go ahead and do it.

Paul7876 likes this.
  4. rambo47

rambo47 Well-Known Member

I'd only do this when my device slowed down noticeably. If you use the task manager to kill apps that are idling you should avoid slowdowns pretty well. And if after a year or two that doesn't reclaim lost speed, then do the reset.

Paul7876 likes this.