Is it bad if I manually updated to 2.2 while I was rooted?

Last Updated:

1. hakoreh

hakoreh Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I did unrevoked yesterday, found the update today, and manually upgraded to Froyo but in my excitement I forgot to unroot. Is that bad? I mean the phone works though lags and that's why I wanted to remove the bloatware but seems when I go to recovery I get a triangle exclamation point - so what do I do?

Advertisement
  2. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

its not bad, but now you cant re-root since you didnt do unrevoked forever for s-off.

hakoreh likes this.
  3. hakoreh

then why do i get the exclamation point going to recovery? and i guess i have to wait for 2.2 to be rooted like the evo was?

i can't go back to 2.1 and do unrevoked forever?

question though why do i see superuser permissions in my app drawer if i'm not rooted?

4. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

I don't know any details about the root side of things really, so I can't help you out there.

However: The lag is almost surely caused by updating to 2.2 without a wipe, and not the "bloatware". Doing a factory reset seems to fix this.

hakoreh likes this.
  5. hakoreh

i'll try that though i definitely want root back to stop things like city ID and skype mobile from starting on its own. i mean really why would verizon include vz navigator with a phone that already has google navigation on it what idiot would spend the $10 a month

6. lafester

lafester Well-Known Member

how did you install the update?
    do you have clockwork or not?

we need answers to these questions lol.

7. joemega2010

joemega2010 Member

Did you have S-Off before you updated?

8. Angels Punishment

Angels Punishment Well-Known Member

They pushed 2.2 to me and I accepted with S-Off. It wont install though. Just get the exclamation mark. Now how do I get it to install now that I downloaded it? I'm in the process of unrooting but is there a way to start the install again? When I check for updates it says I'm up to date at 2.1.

I formatted the SD card and downgraded. Now I need to know where the downloaded OTA is and where to start it please

9. hakoreh

I had clockwork, booted into recovery and applied
    the update, and it rebooted. So I know I don't have root but I still have super user permissions in the app drawer. But when I boot into recovery now, I get the red exclamation.