Is it bad my recovery comes up with a red exclamation mark?

Last Updated:

1. imwithalwood

imwithalwood Member This Topic's Starter

My phone works fine. Aside from rooting troubles, it boots up perfectly. Im on hboot 1.47 and want to root so I've been experimenting with it. ANyways, I boot into recovery mode, and all that came up was a picture of an eris with a red exclamation mark on it. What does this mean?

Advertisement
  2. PMTerp

PMTerp Well-Known Member

Having the same problem. I think I may have rooted (I know that I should know but I don't). I have saved a rom to my sd card but if I hold the vol up and power I get the triangle with the exclamation mark? Anyone know whats going on?

3. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

This image? (#1 icon_error.png)

[​IMG]

That is normal for a Leak-V2, Leak-V3, or OTA-2.1 phone. With that graphic showing on the screen, if you press Vol-UP+End/Power simultaneously (again!), you will see the HTC "production" recovery menu.

I wouldn't select any of those menu items, if I were you.

Perfectly normal if that is what you are seeing.

eu1

4. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

If you're rooted and you're seeing that when you boot into recovery, I think that means you didn't install Amon's Recovery image (item II in the rooting instructions).

5. PMTerp

PMTerp Well-Known Member

My error is different. Mine is the little droid guy standing next to a triangle with a yellow/orange exclamation mark. I am rooted according to everything I read but I think you are correct that I did something wrong in the 2nd step. Does this mean I can't load other roms?

6. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

I think you mean this image, yes?

[​IMG]

The above image is the same between the Leak-V1 and the Root-ROM.

The images used in the recovery boot changed at Leak-V2 and onward from there.

So, the fact that you are seeing that does not uniquely identify what state you are in - it could mean that you either have the Leak-V1 ROM on your phone or the Root ROM. (You would not see that image if you had a 1.5 phone and accepted the OTA-2.1).

You said you attempted rooting, so, if you have the 1.49.2000 S-OFF bootloader then it is certainly possible for you to install Amon_RA's recovery and get on with getting a decent ROM onto your phone.

eu1

7. MrDangerous

MrDangerous Well-Known Member

I think they should bold print the part about installing Amon Ra. It is essential in my opinion.

8. PMTerp

PMTerp Well-Known Member

SWEET GEORGIA BROWN!!!! Went back and redid step #2 (this time copy/pasted commands instead of typing them in) and it works. I'm rooted and changing roms as we speak. Picked up EvilEris2 going to give that a whirl, then possibly going back to the 1.5 to get rid of this pesky no sound bug. Thanks for the help ya'll