Is it bad to charge everynight?Support

Last Updated:

1. noodle15

noodle15 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I usually like to let my phone drain all the way out then recharge but sometime cannot. I am wondering if you do the cycle let it die charge it all the way, then are charging at night everynight, is it okay?? I thought batteries didn't have a memory and they could be charged at any time?? I get a full day but usually have anywhere between 30-60% at time when I go to sleep.. Just dont always have access next day to a charger midday..
    any info to this is always great!

Advertisement
  2. jweber

jweber Active Member

Only that will happen is your battery wont last as long... These cells have approx 500 charging cycles before they become... well, useless.

Experts claim that it is supposed to be 500 COMPLETE charge cycles so 2 charges at 50% equal 1 charging cycle, but that has not been my experience.

I have always charged my phones (all types) nearly everynight and would get any from 18 - 20 months. So if the experts are right... physics are different in my home than in theirs :rolleyes: because I almost always charge near the 50% mark so that I always have battery power, I refuse to carry around a charger all day.

3. esn

esn Well-Known Member

If I get a year out of a battery I am happy. I charge my X several times a day plus overnight. I use the shell holster combo so any extended battery that needs a new cover is out for me. I hope they come out with a patch to help with the battery life.

4. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

From what I've read, discharging it all the way isn't good for the battery. At least you can easily get a new battery for the Droid X if you need to.

5. evo678

evo678 Well-Known Member

I think fully discharging then doing a full charge is to calibrate the phone to the battery so that a "100%" charged reading on the phone is truly equal to a fully charged battery...at least I think that is the reason. I don't think it allows the battery to hold more charge as much as allowing the phone to fully utilize all the charge on the battery.

6. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

I have no issue charging the battery every night! To be honest if I can get a year out of the stock battery I figure that's more than acceptable.

7. BCox

BCox Well-Known Member

First, not trying to pick on you at all, just getting correct information out there.

Second, not pretending to have known this all along, I learned this on the forums here not too long ago.

BUT: You do not need to "calibrate" the battery, as it is a lithium battery, and these do not require you to deplete the battery, then charge to 100%. Apparently, the older kinds of batteries needed this, but again, the Droid X's battery is a lithium one, which does NOT. There have been a few threads on this here you can find if you want to read more on this, and you can also google it if you want more proof.

8. 1up5dn

1up5dn Well-Known Member Contributor

Like several people have mentioned in other threads, it isn't the battery that is being calibrated but the phone's battery meter to the batteries' capability. This is actually a documented recommendation from Motorola since before the original Droid.

9. BCox

BCox Well-Known Member

Whoahhh time-out.

Again, I was just relaying information that I got from other sources. Could you elaborate on this a bit more? So I should have drained it once even though you shouldn't to protect the battery, so that the Motorola battery software would work properly?

10. AMDXP

AMDXP Well-Known Member

Yes, and I think your getting Calibrate and Conditioning mixed up.

As I understand it pre lithium batteries would need re-conditioned (a series of complete discharges and recharges). Apparently not so with lithium.

As I understand it anyway (based on info from these forums) the X will shut down before it discharges "too low" to cause any real damage. Which is why it's important to allow it to periodically fully "discharge" which allows the software to more accurately reflect the actual potential charge.

If I'm wrong....a few people will be around in short order to correct me :D.

11. 1up5dn

1up5dn Well-Known Member Contributor

According to this link on the Motorola website, yes you should. Go down to the "performance" section. It does say "train the battery", but we all know that isn't the case with lithium batteries.

12. BCox

BCox Well-Known Member

*Sigh* This was my original impression... Sometimes the people who try to "correct" us have a tendency to read a third of the post, misread it, and then give you incomplete/incorrect information.

I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing, and fingers crossed, the phone will last till next month

13. cdmoore74

cdmoore74 Well-Known Member

Non of the Android phones I know have hard to replace batteries. The worst case would be a cheap battery replacement. And with so much room due to the hump I would expect larger batteries with custom doors to pop up.

14. gibbga

gibbga Well-Known Member

I think I know the a.nswer already, but I figure I'd ask just to make sure. So here goes. If the battery is running low, and I'm out stuck in traffic somewhere, is it ok to do a 30 minute recharge in the car eventhough I'm going to be getting to my destination before the phone can fully recharge?

15. badchevy

badchevy Member

In my experience I have always charged my phone everynight and I actually never completely drained the battery in the two years I had the *cough cough* IPhone I never had a single battery problem and it is still going strong (in a drawer collecting dust).