Is it common for sprint stores to lie about how insurance works?

Last Updated:

1. Tiako

Tiako Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was asking about all the issues that the phone was having and they tried to sell me insurance. They told I wouldn't be cover by anything that couldn't be fixed in the store. So if my screen died or something then I would be screwed. That I needed insurance for them to fix the phone. Then I asked about the deductible and they said it wouldn't be an issue if they could fix it in store.. What is this crap :mad:

I know this is complete BS because the screen died on my palm pre and they sent me a refurb under warranty no problem.

Advertisement
  2. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

Ehhh people lie.... I am sure it was just a sales guy who either didn't know any better or was trying to make a buck. Corporate Sprint store or reseller?

3. horadin

horadin Well-Known Member

It is quiet possible that he did not lie, but was ill informed or just dumb.

4. Mason240

Mason240 New Member

Their insurance for my EVO is $9/mo with NO deductible. The only thing they don't cover is loss or theft. If your phone is broke, they give you a new one (same or better) for no charge.

5. Tiako

Tiako Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Corporate store

6. GaryColeman

GaryColeman Well-Known Member

Wait, sales people lie?!?!?

Only the good ones.

7. 0837s

0837s Well-Known Member

Thats the black tie protection from Best Buy, not the insurance from Sprint. I had the same coverage on my Evo.

8. tardmobile

tardmobile Well-Known Member

Any time I've had a problem they could take care of in the store there wasn't any issue with having them fix it for "free" (insurance is pretty much prepaid repair service to me).

9. gowcaizer1978

gowcaizer1978 Well-Known Member

I got the insurance from sprint and its only $7 a month

10. mynamewastaken

mynamewastaken Well-Known Member

Best Buy's insurance is crap compared to Sprint's. It's $2/month more, and covers you for much less.

11. remedy

remedy Member

If you are not concerned about being covered for loss or theft, I would recommend a Square Trade warranty over any monthly insurance program.

12. MisterEd

MisterEd Well-Known Member

That's for the first 30 days. After that they send it out "for repair" first and only then will they give you a new one if their depot can't fix it ..... which can take up to 6 weeks. They might give you a loaner phone in the interim. Read the fine print in the contract. I had this happen to me a year or so ago. Was almost 4 weeks before I got my replacement in hand.

Someone with a similar experience posted here: http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/99866-problems-best-buys-customer-service-my-droid.html

13. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

Sorry to quote the op but need to break this down. You are confusing sprint the company from htc the company. You can not confuse the two. You will have a warranty from htc. You can buy insurance from sprint.

Sprint can not repair a phone under warrenty with out htc approval for the repair.

Highlighted everything in bold.

1.) For THEM to fix it, under insurace, not htc, but for sprint to fix it. They are not telling you a lie, the are omitting the truth. For THEM to fix it you would need insurance. To have HTC fix it, you would file it under warranty.

2.) Once again not a lie, if you make a claim and they can fix it, ie at worst hand you a new phone, it would cost you no deductible. I have walked into sprints store with a cracked screen. They simply looked at it, handed me a new phone, and I walked out, if they can fix it in store, zero cost.

3.) Now you hit the nail on the head, yes you do have a warranty, but you must get a replacement from htc, turn your old phone in, hope they do not try to claim you broke it or was water damage. And if it was general product failure, you get a phone under warranty

You see the difference?

They where telling you for them to fix your phone it would cost 7 bucks a month.

For htc to fix your phone, you jump through hoops, pray they do not claim it is water damage (att claims everything as water damage) and then wait for a new phone.

OR

You can buy the 7 dollars a month, and as long as you bring them the phone, it is mostly covered without a deductible. When it is completely totaled, water damage, or lost/stolen. It is 100 bucks for a new phone.

They where not lying to you, they where just telling you what they can do and for what price.

Dutch54 likes this.
  14. MisterEd

MisterEd Well-Known Member

Problem with Square trade is you pay the FULL AMOUNT up front and are only covered for 1 event so if you get a replacement phone and want it insured you have to pay the FULL insurance all over again. So lets say you get think you will get a check for $450 for an EVO. In reality the EVO replacement is $450, minus the $120-$140 (depending on coupon) you paid up front for the insurance MINUS the $50 deductible then you have to pay it all over again for the next phone. So if you break the phone in month 2 you have actually paid about $180 for the insurance and deductible. If you kill 2 more phones over the next 1 year you are laying out $170 each time to reinsure it.

Gets pretty expensive if your a compulsive phone killer. With Sprint you only pay by the month so the same $7 a month covers up to 4 replacements per year and you only pay by the month. Sq Trade is the absolute worst option of them all.

15. Dutch54

Dutch54 Well-Known Member

From RiverOfIce..."They are not telling you a lie, they are omitting the truth"
    :)

Very very well put there, River

16. mcnutty

mcnutty Well-Known Member

Sprint corporate stores honor the manufacturer warranty (1 year) in store. What that means is without TEP for 365 days, a repair center will repair or replace your phone for anything but liquid and/or physical damage and of of course loss or theft. With TEP the same things will be covered indefinitely as long as you maintain the coverage. Also covered with TEP are lost, stolen and physical or liquid damage. These issues are covered with a claim through a third party, Asurion and a $100 deductible.