Is it ever a good idea to wipe SD?

Last Updated:

1. esmith818

esmith818 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was going to try a new ROM today, but since my last 2.2 update returned an "error" about not having an app2sd partition (and my SD card is getting somewhat "junky" anyway), I was thinking of just wiping the entire contents and reformatting prior to flashing.

I made a mirror copy of my current SD contents to my computer (just in case), but I'm not sure if reformatting the SD is a bad idea. I'm also not sure at which point during the entire re-flashing process I should perform the reformat. Can anyone shed their opinion on if and when to do something like this? Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

I don't think re-formatting your SD card is a bad idea...but I don't know that it's needed. I had (and saw that many others) had error messages come up on 2.0 and 2.0.1 saying something about your "SD Card is corrupted". Since I've been on 2.1 and now 2.2, I have yet to see another one of these. You might just want to clean up some of the files on your SD card.

I don't think that a format is needed unless you want to clear out you apps2sd partition used in CyanogenMod ROMs. If you are on a Froyo ROM and you want to move apps to SD with Titanium Backup, it stores them in the .android_secure folder on your SD Card so the Apps2SD partition is not needed. I am keeping my partition cause I'm not dying for storage space and it might be used in future CM 2.2 ROMs (Cyanogen and Koush rock but...just can't give up 2.2 LOL).

3. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

Mine used to take forever to mount.
    Hooked it up to PC
    COPY files to PC
    Format SD
    Transfer back

Smooth as butter

4. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

It looks like all you want is apps2sd. Froyo has that built in native, but if you want to partition your SD card, I know I read somewhere that you can do that via adb and it would not wipe it.. I don't know, I've never reformatted mine, can't say that I wouldn't, but it is your call.. I would just make sure that you have everything on it backed up first.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

5. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

formatting your sd card every now and then is good practice. You cant defrag a sd card so the only way to do that is to format. I do it every few months.

6. VeryApe

VeryApe Well-Known Member

It is probably a good idea to wipe it at least 4 times.
    ;)