• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is it harmful to charge it up over night?

Let me clarify things, Brosko. Well, with lithium cells, there is somewhat of a limit to how many charge cycles they will accept. Now, they don't have a "memory" like the old NiCad batts did...Lithium can be charged without any damage at any time. But to get the most life out of the battery, we should only charge them when the battery level is very low. This will help the battery last a longer time when compared to the same battery being charged a couple times a day to keep it "topped off".

So, in general, let the battery level drop until you get the low-battery warning. (you still have a little while before it will shut down) Then charge it to full. I know this is not always possible, or practical, but it should be the goal....the goal being to charge as few times as possible.

Again, topping it off doesn't cause damage, but doing so on a constant basis will eventually cause the battery to fail sooner than expected.

Hope this helps, my friend.

Reactions: brosko
Upvote 0
Let me clarify things, Brosko. Well, with lithium cells, there is somewhat of a limit to how many charge cycles they will accept. Now, they don't have a "memory" like the old NiCad batts did...Lithium can be charged without any damage at any time. But to get the most life out of the battery, we should only charge them when the battery level is very low. This will help the battery last a longer time when compared to the same battery being charged a couple times a day to keep it "topped off".

So, in general, let the battery level drop until you get the low-battery warning. (you still have a little while before it will shut down) Then charge it to full. I know this is not always possible, or practical, but it should be the goal....the goal being to charge as few times as possible.

Again, topping it off doesn't cause damage, but doing so on a constant basis will eventually cause the battery to fail sooner than expected.

I believe you. i have always thought that there was no harm in leaving charger connected. i am just saying some people do not. try explaining that to them:D

Upvote 0
I charged mine overnight plenty of times. Come to think of it, everything I have usually goes on the charger overnight; if I don't, they won't be any good to me in the morning when I want to play.
I have friends who are still stuck on the myth that charging overnight is dangerous. I get tired of trying to teach them over wise.

Upvote 0

Sideman is correct. To add to it as well.
All batteries benefit from being charged/discharged fully every time (it gives them full storage capacity by doing so). You can top them up after this, but every 4th go should be a full discharge/recharge cycle for protection purposes.

Most modern chargers do shut down when charged. I charge mine when off for minimum charge times (3 1/4 hours in UK).
8 months on my battery is as good as when I got it, 9 1/2 hours of video playback!

marcel

PS
by doing this my 12 year old video cameras batteries still work fine..

Reactions: brosko
Upvote 0
Thanks for adding that extra info, Marcelf. Good advice.

I actually do pretty much what you describe. If it fully discharges by suppertime and I'll charge it overnight. But sometimes I just top the charge off overnight during the week. Then I make sure to let it fully drain at least on Friday and fully charge it overnight, or on Saturday.

And you are right...this allows us to get the maximun life from any of our lithium batteries.

By the way, just for clarification...The wall wart chargers we use only supply the appropriate voltage and current (no intellegence). The "brains" of the charging control for phones, and the like, are in the device itself. This is not the case for many other devices, like cordless lithium power tools...for them the "intelligence" is built into the charger.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones