Is it just me or do these phone "wear out"?Support

1. kenneyd

kenneyd Active Member

Is it just me or do these phone "wear out"?

When i first got my phone it was the fastest, most responsive, no problem phone i've ever had. But over the last 18mo its slowed down and degraded considerably.
    I literally have had the exact same aps since my evo4g.
    the only change is 3 different versions of android from google and about a dozen FDR (last data reset about 30 days ago) and about 500 soft resets

Things its doing now, slower when; loading any webpage, unlocking phone or even just opening the stock text msg app etc. many times it wont refresh the wifi connection so i have to turn wifi on/off/on when i get home from work, google search takes 40 seconds and even after i get search results, i cant click on one for another 20 secs. among a million other little things
    Battery is still ok, but now will only go a day, no more of these miracle 3 days with out charge.

Lastly, i bought a used but slightly newer razr maxx for my wife and hers is much faster, all the same apps as mine running for about 2mo now with no resets.

Its weird, a phone is not some tired old chevy motor with 300,000 miles on it, its just a bunch of circuitry and no moving parts, why does it have such a performance decline? anyway experience a similar situation and resolve it?

I wonder if i just have a bad download of ICS, can i redownload it? will rooting help?

Advertisement
    :
    janetd03830 likes this.
  2. zero66

zero66 Well-Known Member

had mine over a year. very sluggish sometimes. done everything ive read.
    janetd03830 likes this.
  3. DDG

DDG Well-Known Member

After 15 months, my phone reception has diminished significantly, both at home and in the office. Sometimes, I can't even make a call. Sad to say, but the wife and kid's iPhones are still working fine.
    janetd03830 likes this.
  4. gustyfoo

gustyfoo Member

I'm really disappointed too. My wife's Galaxy Nexus, which we got at the same time is super quick. I'm ready for a new phone.
    janetd03830 likes this.
  5. emmzone22

emmzone22 Well-Known Member

Mine has gotten worse after each software update, and I did an FDR, and even sent it in to Motorola with no help.
  6. quickaudi

quickaudi Well-Known Member Contributor

Huh, wife has been complaining about hers lagging and freezing up as well. I just chalked it up to a bad app, but now...
    janetd03830 likes this.
  7. -=Jeff=-

-=Jeff=- Well-Known Member

Mine is also lagging as well. I have to wonder if it is a possible cheaper component used.

Looking to upgrade my Maxx but the new Motorola phones while they sound great don't have a physical HDMI connection to my knowledge
  8. zero66

zero66 Well-Known Member

they usually act up when it gets close to renewal time.
  9. -=Jeff=-

Funny how that works isn't
    janetd03830 likes this.
  10. phoebeusfenix

phoebeusfenix Member

I agree to the points above. I upgraded from a htc hero to my Droid razr maxx about 5 months ago. Started super fast...now very sluggish with unlocking, searches, bringing up dialer...i think I'm going to take the iPhone plunge next time around
  11. emmzone22

emmzone22 Well-Known Member

I have the Droid RAZR as my personal cell phone, and I also have a work provided iPhone. Even with all the problems I have with the RAZR, I still like it better than the iPhone. Had I not been provided with an iPhone through work, that would've been my next phone. Thankfully I didn't have to waste my money and pay for a phone I didn't like. If you end up getting an iPhone, hopefully you like it better than I do. Good luck.
  12. bolski

bolski Well-Known Member

The phone doesn't wear out. It's just like a PC. After a year or so of updating, adding and removing apps, you get a lot of "junk" built up that tends to slow it down.

What I do is I back up my apps, settings as well as the internal SD card to my PC. I then go and do a complete wipe of the system, fastboot back to the stock image and then reinstall everything.

It's a pain if you aren't used to it, but I can get it down in about an hour or so.

Every time I've done this, my phone acts like it's brand new out of the box. In fact, I just recently did it this past month and flashed back to Eclipse.

Both the stock side AND the Eclipse side run super fast and smooth.

It's not the phone "wearing out". It's just the accumulation of junk files everywhere.
    janetd03830 likes this.
  13. B360155

B360155 Well-Known Member

14. thrifty

thrifty Well-Known Member

How are these two done? seems this could be a big help to a lot of us...
  15. B360155

B360155 Well-Known Member

Wipe Cache Partition - DROID RAZR / RAZR MAXX by MOTOROLA

Warning Performing a wipe cache partition will remove any temporary files that may be causing an issue with the device. All personal files and settings will not be affected by this option.

1. Power the device off.
    --> Press the Power button then select Power off.
    --> If the device doesn't respond to input, press and hold the Volume Up / Down then press and hold Power button. When the device screen goes blank, release the Power button while continuing to hold Volume Up / Down then proceed with step 3.
    2. Press and hold the Volume Up / Down then press the Power button.
    3. When presented with the Boot Mode Selection Menu, release all buttons.
    4. Press Volume Down to select Recovery then press Volume Up.
    5. From the Droid triage screen:
    --a. Press and hold Volume down.
    --b. Press and release Volume up.
    --c. Release Volume down.
    6. Select wipe cache partition then press the Power button.
    --> Use Volume keys to navigate options.
    7. Select reboot system now then press the Power button.
    --> Use Volume keys to navigate options.
    Grey1001, razrclive, -=Jeff=- and 2 others like this.
  16. Doc_Stew

Doc_Stew Well-Known Member

both my wife and I have had these phones for the past 18 months, and they have caused numerous spikes in our blood pressure. They both are so cripplingly slow that they're unusable. Trying to dial a phone # takes 2 minutes. And forget trying to Google search something - takes 10 minutes.

We've both done factory resets, had them replaced (I'm on my 3rd device), and it continues to happen. I effing HATE this phone and want to smash it into a million pieces on a daily basis. Sadly, my contract isn't up for another 6 months. I just don't know how I can physically make it until then. I'd almost rather go back to my BB Curve from 5 years ago...
  17. rnlcomp

rnlcomp Well-Known Member

Cache wipe cured what ailed mine, then I did a full system wipe on top of that so I can sell it since I now have a Droid Ultra. Things I dislike about the Ultra, no HDMI port but it supports wireless video out (provided you have a device that accepts it) and no sd card slot so limited to the 16g on board and they took away my Motocast, I loved that program to stream tunes from my home pc and instant transfer pics and video from the phone to the pc.

Over all I am pleased with the Ultra and am going to have to adjust to the things the Razr Maxx did for me that are missing.

By the way, I have the maxx listed on ebay no reserve, if anyone want's a link send me a pm, or if it's ok with the mods I could post a link in here.

Phone is a case queen so it still looks new.

18. -=Jeff=-

I just wiped the cache, I will see how it does over the next couple days
  19. doniago

doniago Well-Known Member

I've had my phone start operating more slowly and drain battery faster. If simply restarting it didn't fix the issue an FDR did.

Sorry for anyone who that doesn't help.
  20. zaphodbebleebrox

zaphodbebleebrox Well-Known Member

i have a non-rooted totally stock Droid Razor and it works just perfectly. I just dont see any reason to load some OS image that i know nothing about.

I did root my Fascinate, and that was a mistake cause it wiped the ability to
    accept over the air updates.

So in answer to your question, "do these phones wear out" the anser is no. What does happen to the phone is what you allow to be installed on it. :smokingsomb:
  21. WTF

WTF Well-Known Member

I just tried the cache-wipe trick and this has helped my Maxx bigtime! I don't know if it is as fast as it was when brand new but I'm happy as it seems much faster now than it was before. Gonna do this on a weekly basis as recommended above, hopefully this will keep it in good shape from a speed perspective.

Thanks everyone above!
  22. CptTom

CptTom Member

I also use Clean Master found in the Play store. No complaints. Every so often computers and phones need cleaning and these three do it for me. Only did a complete wipe once, but after 2 years my maxx still works great.