Is it just me, or does the headphone audio quality SUCK?!Support

Last Updated:

1. crawdad689

crawdad689 Member This Topic's Starter

I'm coming from an iPhone 3G, and I have Shure SE115 earbuds.

I don't find the audio quality of the Evo to be anywhere near the quality of my iPhone. FWIW, I don't find the audio quality of my iPhone to be as good as my gf's zune hd.

If I put the same song on both my iPhone and Evo, it is immediately apparent to me which one is which. The Evo doesn't go as loud, and it just sounds a LOT more flat, and way less crisp. We're talking night and day here, at least IMO.

I don't consider myself an audiophile by any means, but this feels like a huge downgrade to me. I've tried using both the stock music player as well as Doubletwist. It's so blah sounding. ugh. I think I'm probably going to return it, and go with a new iPhone.

Anyone else generally unimpressed by the audio quality of the Evo? I'd imagine my beef is with the hardware, and it's pretty unlikely that a 2.2 root would fix my problems...

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

I noticed this the other day. I have a really good pair of studio headphones, and noticed the difference right away. I loaded some test songs to both my evo and my computer to my surround system at home, and plugged both in so i could switch back and forth. The sound from the Evo was much less crisp. The highs were way too low, and the lows were almost non-existent. The mids seemed to be washed out a bit as well. I think some of the problem is the evo doesnt have any EQ built in, which would definetly help a bit.

I also tried a test between the evo, and my old Moto Q running windows with an eq. The moto q sounded 100 percent better, and its a 3 year old phone. I'm really disappointed in this.

3. SirSlayer

SirSlayer Well-Known Member

Maybe its defective. I have an ipod touch and evo and my evo kicks is ass in sound quality. I used the same head phones (Philips SHE9500) on the same exact MP3 file and the sound quality on the EVO was noticeably better. I then tested in the car, using the audio jack on both. Again the EVO was better over all. Crisper sound. Sounds to me you may be having buyers remorse after seeing your beloved leader announce the new iPhone which still doesn't offer everything the EVO does. So Good luck to ya, at least your still in your 30 days were you can return it.

4. jayso27

jayso27 New Member

I think the audio quality is great from my Evo. I'm an audio geek and do a lot of sound engineering. My friend (who rocks an iPhone) said the audio quality was better than his phone (3GS). So maybe yours has an issue.

5. swatpup102

swatpup102 Well-Known Member

I agree, in the same situation being an audio engineer and using high end headphones, and mine sounds great. Also sounds great while in the car hooked up to my system. I've not noticed any degradation of sound quality compared to my studio setup playing the same files, one out of pro tools rack 002.

6. Nerve

Nerve Well-Known Member

I noticed a slight sound issue as well. I used Pandora and Last.fm the other day and noticed that the sound quality is not great, but its not awful either. I usually carry my iPod with me so its not that much of an issue for me. I was searching everywhere for an EQ setting but couldnt locate one.

7. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Yep, I'm an Audio Engineer as well, so it bugs me that the quality from my Evo sucks. Although I'm already getting a replacement due a screen issue, whenever RS gets new stock in. So hopefully I won't have this problem again.

8. dwntwnall4u

dwntwnall4u Well-Known Member

Audio quality is ok on mine, but the call volume is too low and sound like the person is fading in and out?

9. stevehy

stevehy Well-Known Member

I have 2 iPhones and an Evo, and the sound quality on the Evo is as good or better. Using Entymotics HF2 in ear phones. Must be a problem with your Evo.

10. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

I have to say that my sound quality is amazing no matter what headphones I am using. If it wasn't I would have to switch it out. Gotta hear my music!

11. crawdad689

Now that's just inflamatory :mad:

Let me know when I can put 32GB of media on my Evo, brah.

BTW, I'm still having this issue. I'm also having an issue with Doubletwist not just crashing, but altogether forcing my Evo to shut down - mid song, while it's in my pocket or on my desk, completely randomly. But that's OK. It's already clear to me that the "your beloved leader" crowd will attribute every woe I have to operator error or fanboi bias.

And you're ****** right that I'm going to return this (IMO) piece of junk. I hated (and I really still do hate it - no joke) my 3G for its overall lag (and obviously AT&T service is another issue altogether), but I hate this device more due to its absolutely abysmal battery life and terrible sound quality. That's not to say that there aren't things I like about the Evo, and it's not to say that there are things the Evo can do that the iPhone can't. It's just that I prefer good battery life (and good audio quality - unless I just got a lemon) over being able to hook my phone up to a TV or video chat on Qik (haven't done either of those yet, and don't intend to).

/cool story bro

12. 02Clone

02Clone New Member

It's just you.

13. crawdad689

What a worthwhile inaugural post you have made! :rolleyes:

14. bhagiratha

bhagiratha Well-Known Member

I posted this at another listing location, but I think it is useful in regards to the headphone issue.

Post from a few days back ....

"Today I went down to mobilecityonline located in Canal street and purchased the Sony Ericsson MW600 bluetooth stereo headset for use with my EVO 4G.

At the moment it is charging [at least 8hrs], but I wanted to know if anyone it using this particular device?
    Once I get it up and running, I will let you guys know how compatible it is with the EVO. Hopefully all the functions will work and I don't have to return it.

update 06/08/10
    Well with alot of playing around and trying a few different audio apps, I got the MW600 to function the way I wanted, which saved me from returning it.
    My main concern was being able to use the controls on the device, and I was only able to do so with an app called bTunes.
    I had no luck with the stock Android music player nor with another App called
    Audio Player WithEQ Platinum
    Although those two did play via the bluetooth unit, I was not able to use none of the control functions.
    With bTunes, I was able to play, pause, and use the forward and backward functions.
    On a side note, the headphones that came with the MW600 are very short, but they sound very good. I ended up using my Klipsch Image S4i which I was using previously with my 3GS.

Hope this meets you all well.

Cheers !"

Personally, I think that the sound quality I am getting with my EVO is really very good. More than I was expecting.

15. jproxx

jproxx Member

this could be defective overall.

Someone try being on the phone with a headset on (Do not have earplugs in your ears for this example). Then try setting an alarm (basic OEM alarm clock) and choosing and alarm tone. You should hear this screeching noise when you try and select and alarm tone. So basically if you're ever on the phone with your headset and your alarm goes off, you'll definitely hear something disturbing to your ears. If this somehow causes ear damage to someones hearing, a law suit could be involved. HTC needs to fix this soon!!

I thought it was just my phone, until i brought it to a sprint store and it did the same exact thing to the employee's evo. Anyone else??