Is it me, or are mp3 ringtones quiter than stock?General

Last Updated:

1. Ovy

Ovy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I always disliked on my old flip phone how any ring tones i'd cut for it were inevitably quieter than the stock or ones you could buy.

I'm glad that the Dinc is so easy to customize -- just select the mp3 I want and put it in the right folder, and bam, ringtone. But I still can't help but feel that, despite being louder than my last phone, the mp3 ring tones are still quieter than the stock ones.

or am I crazy?

Advertisement
  2. Red Leader

Red Leader Well-Known Member

You're crazy.

Now excuse me while I tell this rainbow to stop giggling at me.

3. Null

Null New Member

This is most likely because the .mp3 clips you're using haven't been optimized for maximum loudness through your phone's single speaker. The sound files that came with the phone were mixed specifically for this type of output. If you're really gung-ho about it, you can download a free audio editor (I recommend Audacity) in which you can prepare the clip for your phone.

Some effects/filters to try:

*Compression/limiting can reduce the dynamic range (difference between loud and soft sounds) in your clip. If done right, you can get the maximum volume out of your ringtones without distortion.

*Adjusting the volumes of various frequencies, or equalization, will allow you to enhance (or reduce) certain ranges of sound, thereby increasing the clarity of your clip. Hint: you're not going to notice booming bass frequencies on your phone's speaker the way you might with other monitors. Try pushing these down a little, and bringing the mid-high range up a notch.

*Converting stereo clips to mono is a part of the preparation process for ringtones that lots of folks overlook. Your phone only has one speaker, and while, in most cases, you'll hear a stereo 'sum' when pushing two channels through a single output, you can have more control over the final sound by mixing down in your editing environment, and fine-tuning with some of the tricks mentioned above.

In the end, it's all about trial-and-error. Just because it sounds good on your headphones doesn't mean it will sound good on your phone. In other words, test your edited clips on your device to make sure they meet your expectations... Because, for all the technical advice anyone can give, the most important rule of audio editing is the simplest: 'If it sounds good, it is good'.

Hope this helps!

Ovy likes this.
  4. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

I just use Free Audio Editor to make ringtones and then raise the volume up an additional 50%. The sound quality remains the same but they are quite a bit louder afterward which makes them a lot easier to hear.

Ovy likes this.
  5. Ovy

Ovy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

thanks for the tips, i'll look into it.