• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it me or does GPS on my Nexus S-uck?

How well is your Nexus S's GPS performing?

• On a scale of 1-5: 1-Terribly, Horribly Wrong

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • On a scale of 1-5: 2-Not Great

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • On a scale of 1-5: 3-So-So

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • On a scale of 1-5: 4-Pretty Good

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • On a scale of 1-5: 5-Excellent

Votes: 22 55.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lansharked

Lurker
Dec 16, 2010
So...picked up my Nexus S this morning as a T-Mobile upgrade from my 2-yr old G1. $279 all told. Proceeded to drive down the highway to a nearby town to see a client. Was trying out the Google Maps and the GPS from the moment I got in my car.

:( Should have known things wouldn't turn out well when the N-S couldn't determine my location to anything closer than the 300-yard bubble while I was stationary, in a remote corner of the parking lot, with blue skies all around.

Played with network settings that might affect GPS: disabled, then re-enabled Wifi use for positioning, toggled Wifi on and off, no change. Was getting a range of mostly good 3G network and cell signal indicators the whole time, also made no difference. BTW, not amused that it has no discernible GPS indicator on the top menu (or I can't figure out what it might be). Continued to get either the 300-yard blue location bubble or the message 'could not determine your location at this time', all in places I used to have a dead-on tracking with the Map's blue arrow on my G1, at either highway speeds or on local roads.

:mad: Situation has not changed all day or this evening, on a familiar, circuitous 40 mile route, where I always had flawless location tracking on my G1. Even at home, after toggling onto my home Wifi, my location tracks to a solid blue arrow (not showing 'approximated' anymore) two blocks (over 1000 ft) away, a GPS error threshold I had never seen so poor on my G1.

Final straw is largest other difference I can discern: brand new Nexus S and battery seem to be running down at about twice the rate of my nearly-dead two-year old G1's original battery. Had to go disconnect my wall plug's micro-USB cable and plug into my laptop after 1.5 hrs at the client because N-S began to cry battery was almost dead.

Utterly unacceptable. I have to say-love Samsung monitors and TVs, can't stand their phones. Very disappointed Google seems to have screwed the pooch twice with the Nexus line.

Oh crud... far and away my major grievance with the SGS was the shocking (and from my perspective: unifxable) GPS issues. Seeing as Google were directly involved in the NS and the antenna has changed (and potentially the chip?) I'd assumed we'd see something as good as the N1, which to my mind was a perfect GPS device.

We really need an in-depth review of the GPS functionality of this phone, right now! I'm sorely tempted to cancel my order :S

Upvote 0
:( Should have known things wouldn't turn out well when the N-S couldn't determine my location to anything closer than the 300-yard bubble while I was stationary, in a remote corner of the parking lot, with blue skies all around.

Probably your unit is defective as my gps reception works quite well.

Have you tried one of the applications that show your satellite status?
There are many such apps, but one that I use is GPS Status.

Reactions: 2FR35H
Upvote 0
there are gps test apps that you can download that report how many satellites the phone sees and how many it locks on to. the sgs phones would see 10 satellites and lock on to 0-2 and most other android phones could lock on to 6-9.

would be informative if someone with a ns would download one of these apps and see how many satellites it locks on to.

i would be amazed if google let samsung release the ns with a fault gps chip.

Upvote 0
The NS contains a completely different gps chip than the galaxy s.

Different chip doesn't necessarily mean it can't suffer from the same issue.

I just played with a Nexus S at Best Buy. It had the same GPS lock issue as my Fascinate.

For comparison, I took in my HTC Incredible, which got an immediate GPS lock.

Samsung deserves to be thrown under the damn bus for this.

Reactions: phonefreek
Upvote 0
Different chip doesn't necessarily mean it can't suffer from the same issue.

I just played with a Nexus S at Best Buy. It had the same GPS lock issue as my Fascinate.

For comparison, I took in my HTC Incredible, which got an immediate GPS lock.

Samsung deserves to be thrown under the damn bus for this.

Demo units often times have their data connections disabled. AGPS works in tandem with the data connection in order to quickly sync with the time of the satelites, and therefore know where to look to lock. Without that connection, getting a lock quickly is impossible.

Upvote 0
So even if 3G was on, the data connection could've been disabled?

Correct. There are also other factors that could reduce GPS functionality, such as using course mode only. From what I've seen (as I don't have mine yet since Best Buy is taking forever to ship it), the GPS issues found in the SGS line have been sorted out. Everyone, short for one person, is reporting that their GPS is working as well or even better than their N1/Incredible/etc.

Upvote 0
Just got my Nexus S and used it for the hour and a half drive back from the store. This was during heavy rain, and it never once dropped the GPS lock.

To put this into perspective, I used my HTC Hero on the way to the store. My Hero is generally quite reliable, but in this weather, it still dropped the lock 3 times during the trip. I think it's safe to say that the Nexus S does not suffer from the GPS issues the SGS line had/have.

Reactions: 2FR35H
Upvote 0
Just got my Nexus S and used it for the hour and a half drive back from the store. This was during heavy rain, and it never once dropped the GPS lock.

To put this into perspective, I used my HTC Hero on the way to the store. My Hero is generally quite reliable, but in this weather, it still dropped the lock 3 times during the trip. I think it's safe to say that the Nexus S does not suffer from the GPS issues the SGS line had/have.

Give it a few more days.... you'll have the problems too.

Upvote 0
there are gps test apps that you can download that report how many satellites the phone sees and how many it locks on to. the sgs phones would see 10 satellites and lock on to 0-2 and most other android phones could lock on to 6-9.

would be informative if someone with a ns would download one of these apps and see how many satellites it locks on to.

i would be amazed if google let samsung release the ns with a fault gps chip.

commence amazement

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones