• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it me, or is the GNex a Lemon?

jhonb

Android Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2012
Jersey Shore
I got my first cell phone in the early 90's and have had many a phone since. All the other phones were put out of service in full working order, only because I wanted the latest greatest and newest. Never because of product failure. I could have sold every one of them as fully working phones. Although the GNex has been my favorite phone, it has also been the biggest pain in the asses. Bugs, Glitches and hardware failures. lousy battery life and a volume so low, I can't use it as a GPS.
Now don't get me wrong, I really like this phone, but, but, but..... Why?
What would Ralph Nader Do?... (G)

Can't say I agree. Mine still runs as well as the day I got it over a year ago with ICS on it. Maybe I am just lucky but I have no intention of replacing it any time soon.

As to gtbarry's last comment, I attribute that more to poor app updates than I do to the phone. A lot of apps are being updated with features I could car less about and more and more intrusive permissions that simply are not necessary.

Upvote 0
I got my first cell phone in the early 90's and have had many a phone since. All the other phones were put out of service in full working order, only because I wanted the latest greatest and newest. Never because of product failure. I could have sold every one of them as fully working phones. Although the GNex has been my favorite phone, it has also been the biggest pain in the asses. Bugs, Glitches and hardware failures. lousy battery life and a volume so low, I can't use it as a GPS.
Now don't get me wrong, I really like this phone, but, but, but..... Why?
What would Ralph Nader Do?... (G)

The GNex is the best phone I've ever owned, and quite frankly I don't see myself "upgrading" to anything anytime soon. It does have a couple cons as you mentioned....
The battery life is not the best out there (but at least it has a replaceable battery that you can swap or opt for a larger battery).
It is not the best phone in terms of signal strength (but i still never lose or miss calls)
The volume can be pretty low. Volume+ used to address this prior to the JB update. As of now, there's not much that can be done.

However, I wouldn't consider it a lemon by any stretch. What bugs, glitches and hardware failures are you referring to specifically? Aside from a USB port that seems a bit weak (and really most USB ports will start to fail eventually) I don't know that its had any true hardware issues.

I think the issue most people have had with the GN is that it was supposed to be a "flagship" device, and it doesn't have the best signal, best battery and best volume. I get that, but it doesn't make it a lemon.... just not what it could have....or maybe should have been.

Upvote 0
The GNex is the best phone I've ever owned, and quite frankly I don't see myself "upgrading" to anything anytime soon. It does have a couple cons as you mentioned....
The battery life is not the best out there (but at least it has a replaceable battery that you can swap or opt for a larger battery).
It is not the best phone in terms of signal strength (but i still never lose or miss calls)
The volume can be pretty low. Volume+ used to address this prior to the JB update. As of now, there's not much that can be done.

However, I wouldn't consider it a lemon by any stretch. What bugs, glitches and hardware failures are you referring to specifically? Aside from a USB port that seems a bit weak (and really most USB ports will start to fail eventually) I don't know that its had any true hardware issues.

I think the issue most people have had with the GN is that it was supposed to be a "flagship" device, and it doesn't have the best signal, best battery and best volume. I get that, but it doesn't make it a lemon.... just not what it could have....or maybe should have been.

See, this is why I ask. But as far as issues, for example. Today I go into Lowes to buy a replacement bulb for a weird lamp. I have the bulb number in my phone. I go to wake up the phone...... Nothing. I push and hold the power button.... a short vibrate and I think is is coming on. NOthing..... I push it again and another short vibrate and nothing. Fortunately, I kinda remembered the bulb number and was able to find what I wanted. I go out to the car, pull the battery, put it back in and it fires up like normal.
Then I look at my battery and see it is down to 46% where is will usually at 85 or 90.

Things like this are not uncommon.

Oh, and why the heck did that guy that made volume + disappear off the face of the earth? That solved one of my problems.

And I am not ready to get rid of my phone yet. It just seems that this phone has had more bugs that any other one I have owned.

Upvote 0

Yes, the thing was always quirky. The only thing that happened after I dropped it was I could not charge it when the phone was on. That turned out to be a bent thingy in the USB port and is working well now. I am beginning to believe that it had nothing to do with dropping it, as it was such a short drop. From my pocket to the ground. (It was also in a case) I just assumed that caused it as it was that night that I had the issue.

Look, I love this phone. I am not bashing it. I have had it well over a year now and I will hang on to it until the next best thing come along (and it is not the Gnex 4) It just seems that this phone is buggy. Please don't take this as an assault on the phone. Maybe using "lemon" was a bit too strong. I came from an iPhone 4 and yes it had it's limits... Oh it had limits, but it worked flawlessly. I would never go back.

Upvote 0
See, this is why I ask. But as far as issues, for example. Today I go into Lowes to buy a replacement bulb for a weird lamp. I have the bulb number in my phone. I go to wake up the phone...... Nothing. I push and hold the power button.... a short vibrate and I think is is coming on. NOthing..... I push it again and another short vibrate and nothing. Fortunately, I kinda remembered the bulb number and was able to find what I wanted. I go out to the car, pull the battery, put it back in and it fires up like normal.
Then I look at my battery and see it is down to 46% where is will usually at 85 or 90.

Things like this are not uncommon.

Oh, and why the heck did that guy that made volume + disappear off the face of the earth? That solved one of my problems.

And I am not ready to get rid of my phone yet. It just seems that this phone has had more bugs that any other one I have owned.

1. I very occasionally see random reboots and it is almost always some app that gets hung up. Maybe once a month.

2. If your phone is regularly having problems with rebooting and freezing I would recommend a hard reset. Its a pain but it apparently solves a lot of these types of issues.

As for Volume+, its not the devs fault. There was a change in the android OS in Jelly Bean that rendered his "fix" no longer workable. Apparently he tried for quite some time to find a workaround but was unable to make it work in Jelly Bean.

Upvote 0
With mass production of anything, there are going to be faults with some, while some work perfectly, and some are true "lemons". Sounds like you got one of the iffy ones. I have no problems at all with mine, while we just had to send my wife's in for warranty repair.

I got mine from one of those daily deal sites. A site that I have bought quite a bunch of stuff from. When I looked into getting it repaired, I called Samsung USA. They researched the serial number and told me it was made to sell in Brazil. If I wanted to get it fixed I would have to do it through Samsung Brazil. I don't speak spanish. If it was still under warranty, I would have been pissed.

Upvote 0
I got mine from one of those daily deal sites. A site that I have bought quite a bunch of stuff from. When I looked into getting it repaired, I called Samsung USA. They researched the serial number and told me it was made to sell in Brazil. If I wanted to get it fixed I would have to do it through Samsung Brazil. I don't speak spanish. If it was still under warranty, I would have been pissed.

They don't speak Spanish in Brazil.

Upvote 0
Wow... Lemon is the last word I'd choose for the GNex. Mine has rocked with the exception of volume level. I'm thinking the S4 might FINALLY be the phone to replace my trusty, day one CDMA GNex but we'll see. Not sure if it's worth giving up my unlimited data for a marginal update.

Yes, lemon is the wrong work. Buggy is better, but I guess it is like anything else, someone can own one for years trouble free and someone else can have daily troubles. I don't have daily troubles, but this has been the buggiest phone I have owned (The best one as well as performance) I look at the issues on this forum and see plenty, but then again, people don't usually find this place unless they are having problems, so that is what you will mostly see here.

Yes the S4 looks great, but I want a totally unlocked google phone. I don't want AT&T getting their mitts on it and screwing it over. I have the unlimited plan and tether my Gnex 10, and my laptop to it for free. I need that feature. The GNex 4 features over the Gnex is not worth the 350 bucks. From what I see, the S4 blows it out of the water.I have seen unlocked S 4;s on ebay for 600 plus, But are they truly unlocked? Why does Google not sell them?

Upvote 0
There is a handful of people that have not had any problems with their G-Nex. In my opinion the majority of G-Nex owners have not been happy with it.

Personally i think it's one of the worst phones ever made. I went through 3 and all 3 were turds.

You're using an iPhone now?! :eek::p

Mine is beginning to exhibit qualities that my OG Droid did towards the end of its life: Lag opening apps, random reboots, sluggishness with the keyboard etc.
It's not as bad as certain Gingerbread ROMs were on the Droid, but I'm thinking if/when 4.3 comes out and ROMs are adapted to it, the Gnex is going to see the end of the road. I've tried plenty of tips and tricks to keep it as smooth as possible, and while it's pretty solid for what I need (which isn't much), I know the end is near.

Upvote 0
Yes, lemon is the wrong work. Buggy is better, but I guess it is like anything else, someone can own one for years trouble free and someone else can have daily troubles. I don't have daily troubles, but this has been the buggiest phone I have owned (The best one as well as performance) I look at the issues on this forum and see plenty, but then again, people don't usually find this place unless they are having problems, so that is what you will mostly see here.

Yes the S4 looks great, but I want a totally unlocked google phone. I don't want AT&T getting their mitts on it and screwing it over. I have the unlimited plan and tether my Gnex 10, and my laptop to it for free. I need that feature. The GNex 4 features over the Gnex is not worth the 350 bucks. From what I see, the S4 blows it out of the water.I have seen unlocked S 4;s on ebay for 600 plus, But are they truly unlocked? Why does Google not sell them?

Wait until June 26th, then google will sell the unlocked s4 and unlocked htc one running stock Android.

Upvote 0
I had heard about the one (Which they say is almost like the s4), but did not know about the s4. Any idea what google will be changing?

Thanks for the info.

It will be identical hardware wise to both phones. The only difference is that it will be running stock Android like the Gnex instead of touchwiz on the s4 or sense on the one. This means that you won't have all the features features that come with those skins, but you will have a sim unlocked, unlocked/unlockable bootloader phone that will receive immediate updates just like a nexus would. However these will only be sold by Google and thus will not be carried subsidized; meaning if you want one, you'll have to pay full retail. Which appears to be 600 for the one, 650 for the s4.

Upvote 0
It will be identical hardware wise to both phones. The only difference is that it will be running stock Android like the Gnex instead of touchwiz on the s4 or sense on the one. This means that you won't have all the features features that come with those skins, but you will have a sim unlocked, unlocked/unlockable bootloader phone that will receive immediate updates just like a nexus would. However these will only be sold by Google and thus will not be carried subsidized; meaning if you want one, you'll have to pay full retail. Which appears to be 600 for the one, 650 for the s4.

Being able to Tether my laptop and Nexus 10 on my unlimited A&TT plan for free is worth the 600. But if I can hold out a few months, it will probably drop like the GNex did.
So the s4 will be set up like my Gnex right? I did not buy my gnex from google, but I got it from a third party unlocked.

Upvote 0
Being able to Tether my laptop and Nexus 10 on my unlimited A&TT plan for free is worth the 600. But if I can hold out a few months, it will probably drop like the GNex did.
So the s4 will be set up like my Gnex right? I did not buy my gnex from google, but I got it from a third party unlocked.

Yep, the interface will be identical. The only difference is that instead of your 3 on screen software buttons, you will have to use Samsung's physical home button and two capacitive buttons.

Upvote 0
Yep, the interface will be identical. The only difference is that instead of your 3 on screen software buttons, you will have to use Samsung's physical home button and two capacitive buttons.

I don't know why, but some people have complained about the physical home button, but I am old and it make it a lot easier to find, (especially when the camera in on) so that is a plus for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones