Is it me or is the GPS on this awful!General

Last Updated:

1. peterjmay

peterjmay Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was in oxford st last nite trying to navigate my way to a bar and whenever i updated the maps the location kept telling me i was in Camden! But whenever im in essex, the location is correct

As much as i like aspects of this phone, im beginning to wish i never got rid of my iphone and bought an iphone 4 instead!!:(

Advertisement
  2. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

deleted

3. anandv76

anandv76 Well-Known Member

i had the same feeling about the GPS (sorry not with you on the iPhone part!) when i was using google maps or in-built locations but since i installed sygic mobile maps, i have actually found the gps to be quite effective. i got a lock within 20 secs and installed the gps monitor too which showed the phone was seeing 11 satellites and connected to 11. i have a feeling the in-built locations app or even google maps isnt the best for the phone. purely my 2 pennies on the subject but i am happy with the gps so far though i havent used it for navigation yet...

4. Brewster0101

Brewster0101 Well-Known Member

Personally I think the navigator software and google maps is not very good on this phone or very good at all.

For all the little clever things google maps can do, its lost the simple fact to work as a simple navigator. The HTC supplied navigator is rubbish compared to modern apps and devices. OVI maps on Nokia devices is ten times better and easier to use.

I don't though have an issue with the GPS. seems ok to me.

5. peterjmay

im still new to this phone but what is the best gps software to use if you walkin about and need gps to get somewhere

6. .ParanoidAndroid.

.ParanoidAndroid. Well-Known Member

I think it's brilliant, you must just be an imbecile my friend! :D

7. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

City: Navigon (car + foot)
    Outdoor: ViewRanger (foot)
    Both have on-board maps.

Harry

8. anandv76

havent tried any besides garmin and sygic, and personally for outdoor (car) i prefer sygic and on foot prefer garmin...

9. RED_

RED_ Well-Known Member

Haven't found a problem myself. Always updates right down to the street im on and which part of the street i'm on. Maybe something was interfering?

10. anandv76

built-in gps on phones is probably one of the best among the phones out there , though the app location, navigation probably arent.

11. SithSurfer

SithSurfer Well-Known Member

Never had any issues with GPS signal lock-in, the Google Nav works flawlessly as long Orange is kind enough to cover the area I'm in. The Locations Nav software sucks in terms of finding streets by postcode - it just seems to be lacking appropriate libraries. I'll give the CoPilot 8 a shot next week traveling for some airsoft skirmishing on new site.

In general - I have absolutely no idea what are you complaining about mate.

12. irishbogman

irishbogman Active Member

Has the Desire HD gps running alongside my Garmin 660 Zumo yesterday, cant fault it, identical results, delighted with it

13. peterjmay

im new to this phone, (just had an iphone!) and cant figure this out. My pc doesnt recognise the phones been plugged in on my computer :confused:

14. peterjmay

Im new to this phone (just had an iPhone) but I cant figure out how to put video files on it, or audio. Even googling this I cant find any decent step by step instructions.

Do I need to convert anything, are there any good free softwares???

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:confused:

I have a Xvid file i want to watch on my phone

15. anandv76

you can change your default settings in "connect to PC" to Disk drive or select it when you connect to the PC/laptop...

16. anandv76

Once you connect your phone as a disk drive, you can transfer the video/audio to the sd card. And once copied, it would show up on the respective app (video or music)

17. MrPloppy

MrPloppy New Member

Going back to the OP's point, I find the gps spot on. I use it for geocaching, and it works flawlessly.

The combination of the gps and compass makes geocaching so simple! :)

18. THE ANDROID

THE ANDROID Well-Known Member

My DHD and iPhone 4 are near each other and iPhone 4 locates me exactly, where as the DHD doesn't so yeh GPS is pretty bad.

Hope an update comes to fix this and the battery life issues.

19. Xannetic

Xannetic Member

my DHD GPS can find my location straight away, where as my Navmen took ages to pic up GPS signals

20. cracksquirrel

cracksquirrel Well-Known Member

GPS gets a lock lock within a few seconds for me and so far has always been spot on.

21. peterjmay

is it because i am using o2??

22. volvo940seturbo

volvo940seturbo Well-Known Member

Never had an issue with the GPS on either my Desire, Desire HD or on my Wildfire, all work perfectly whether using built in google maps HTC navigation, or copilot.

Yes Copilot is probably the best of the three, but the others are very good too.

Compared to my standalone tomtom, N97, SE Satio, SE C905 the htc phones are miles ahead in their GPS.

I get a lock very quickly, unlike any of the others which can take forever if at all in the case of the Satio C905 and N97.

Holds a lock permanently and only with google do I ever suffer any issues and that is only due to vodafones patchy at best reception.