Is it my imagination, or does music sound better on the Captivate?

Last Updated:

1. Jake_Mongoose

Jake_Mongoose Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've been an iPod user for years, even had an original iPhone, but for some reason, I think the music sounds a tad better on the Captivate? Anyone else notice this, or am imagining things?

Advertisement
  2. blazeplacid

blazeplacid Well-Known Member

its about the same as an ipod/iphone really to my ears

im using Klipsch S4 in ears at work and some old school Pro25s at home

the quality is very good

3. Dieabolical

Dieabolical Member

The music on the Captivate definitely sounds better than anything Apple branded, imo. I have had ipods/iphones before and know what those sound like. I use quality earbuds the retail for around 200.00 with all my music being 320kbs mp3 quality. I don't miss my iphone for music, thats for sure and especially itunes.

4. getDange

getDange Well-Known Member

Apple is not known for sound/playback quality. Samsung has a history of producing GREAT MP3 players with great playback quality (p2, p3).

5. RavenFox

RavenFox VIP Member VIP Member

Your not the only one I've noticed it myself.

6. Loremonger

Loremonger Well-Known Member

I was actually pleasantly surprised at the quality of the headphones and the 5.1 equalizer setting.

7. xThaNaturalx

xThaNaturalx Well-Known Member

If you're wearing headphones, the Captivate is much better quality than an iPod. If you're connected to anything with the headphone jack, you can turn your music player to full dolby 5.1 digital surround sound. There's a button in the "Music player" in the top right corner. It makes it sound amazing.

8. mrspeedmaster

mrspeedmaster Well-Known Member

It has a Wolfson Audio DAC processor. Same one found on the older iPod Classic. It definitely sounds very,very,very good. It is the best sounding Android phone on the market due to the DAC processor. I say it is very comparable to the IPhone4. Supplied headphones are definitely better.

9. Chew

Chew Well-Known Member

When I press on that button, I get a message that says "5.1 channel can only be activated when sound effects are off".

OK, I go into the players settings and Effect doesn't have an "off".

Or is that talking about the overall phone sound effects? I never get notification sounds while I'm listening to the player anyway. :confused:

Edit: Never mind, I figured it out. Both Effects and Equalizer must be set to "Normal".

10. DT

DT Well-Known Member

Good info. I was going to say "it's generally about the DAC" but I didn't know the actual implementation.

11. bmoliver

bmoliver Well-Known Member

Mine sounds as good as my old Creative Labs Vision M. Once I get a 16 GB SD card, I will transfer all my music files to the external card.

12. ElTigre2323

ElTigre2323 Member

I feel like everything does sound very clear, but I actually prefer 5.1 surround sound to be off unless I'm watching a movie.

13. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

i have yet to try out the earbuds that come with the phone.

14. Santiago.Correa

Santiago.Correa Member

The earbuds aren't anything to write home about, but I'm a bit of an audio geek so that's ultimately something of preference.

The Captivate is surprising for a phone, I was listening to a couple songs on some of my heavier duty headphones and was pleasantly surprised. Techno sounds really great on my car speakers as well. Sound is a little bit in your face for some tracks, but overall I like it a lot as a portable music player.

15. xxmiscadxx

xxmiscadxx Member

agreed, i just switched over from the iphone 3g today to the captivate and the quality is so clear and sounds more crisp.

16. peterpp

peterpp Well-Known Member

Yes, my Capt sounds so much better than my sister's Iphone4.

17. mesasone

mesasone Well-Known Member

The Galaxy S does surprisingly well in RMAA testing... not quite up to the level of the iPhone 3GS, but above the iPhone4.

AS far as the music sounding "better" - well the Galaxy S phones do seem to be applying some kind of oddball EQ to low impedance loads (IE: headphones), though it doesn't seem to apply it to higher impedance loads (headphone amplifier, for example). You can set the EQ to +0dB across the board in the service menu. You'll have to Google it for more information.

18. ConceptVBS

ConceptVBS Well-Known Member

Samsung has been known to produce stellar audio quality with their Yepp mp3 player lines and they still do. From an audiophile's perspective, they consistently rate high among mp3 players (iRiver as well).

Direct quote from gsmarena.com

[​IMG]

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9000_galaxy_s-review-478p6.php

19. Santiago.Correa

Santiago.Correa Member

I have noticed some sound anomalies, not bad persay, but different than what I typically hear out of my computer soundcard which I keep neutral. I would say that the effect makes music a little bit more "fun", it definitely isn't for analytical listening.

That being said, a few things I've found to sound great are bass, really tight and thumping. Female vocals are also great, try giving a listen to Regina Spektor or similarly talented female vocalists. Mids to highs are a bit too muddled for my taste, but that can be fixed to a certain extent with equalizers or an amp.

I've read around the forum that apparently the music player you use can give you significantly different playback experiences, so I'm wondering what you are all using as your media player? I'm using DT which is giving me a tighter, clearer sound than the native player in my opinion.

20. ranova

ranova Well-Known Member

I've heard otherwise regarding the sound quality of the SGS phone when you have headphones plugged into the 3.5" jack:
    [REF] Headphones sound quality fix and improvements for Galaxy S - xda-developers

Should read the rest of that post, its interesting.

There is a tool to fix this really quickly:
    Fix Galaxy S i9000 ALSA Headset Issue with MixGet | xda-developers

21. mesasone

mesasone Well-Known Member

Something sounding "better" is a highly subjective statement. Give people access to an equalizer, and the first thing they tend to do a crack up the treble and bass to obnoxious levels and say it sounds better.

I'm not an analytical listener, but I do prefer to have the EQ zero'd out on the Galaxy S. Listening with TripleFi 10vi, and Monster Turbine Pro Copper, neither of which would be considered a neutral earphone.

22. noc

noc Well-Known Member

Being a previous owner of two iriver mp3 players and the samsung p2, I always regretted not keeping one of the others around when I got my ipod touch. It all depends on what type of music that you listen to as well. You do get louder output in external speakers with the ipod though, which is why I still carry that with me when I'm out on the road because I can't stand the radio.