• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it necessary to upgrade annually?

W1nterFr0st

Lurker
Dec 14, 2015
I mean, like on a year to year basis? I ask because so many people do and I have had my same phone for nearly 3 years now and see no reason to upgrade other than getting a few small perks (better camera, longer battery life, smoother processor, ect).

What are your thoughts on frequency of upgrades?

I've upgraded my phones about every year, but on the other hand I've only upgraded my laptops every 6 or 7 years, and I'm not subject to two year contracts. Data loss has never been a problem for me, because I think know what I'm doing and have always done my homework carefully before buying. :thumbsupdroid: ...like can I really afford this, do I really need it, is it going to improve my life, is a new phone going to bring me wealth and fortune?

My father changes his car every year, and gets a new one, but on the other hand he keeps phones going for as long as absolutely possible. I've only had old second-hand banger cars, and usually driven them into the ground.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I trade up phones about every year to stay on the bleeding edge of technology. I wear my phones out using them to their maximum capabilities, so more powerful devices = getting more done faster and easier. I've had phones for two years, and it seems like they start getting eccentric and "senile" at about 18 months. The last few months on a 2-year cycle were horrible for me... so changing up every year takes that strain off. I set aside a little bit of money each payday and when I'm ready for a new phone, the money is there to choose whatever works best for me. That's why I do it :)

Upvote 0
no.. not necessary.

based on your needs.. wants.. and finances.
do as you please.

I personally .. think it strange that many want to upgrade every year!
I am still on my Note3... and happy

about the smart watches.. are people going to upgrade? what about the $1400 apple watches? and the coming soon $1700 Tag watches?

Upvote 0
As far as a smartwatch goes, I have the Huawei watch and consider it the end-all of watches. The only thing I can think of to add to it is a speaker/camera feature that I can use to video chat with people right from the wrist. But again: do I really NEED that? No. Most of the watch's capabilities are software-based, and most updates will be software driven... so I'm pretty much sitting pretty on the smartwatch front as long as software updates keep coming to keep it current.

Upvote 0
Guess I will sit on the sidelines.

I personally don't feel a need for anything that hangs on my wrist...
so, to echo the previous post, you are the "only one" that determines a "need to upgrade".

If what you have does what you want, then why waste money throwing it away and buying a new one?

None of my phones are "new" current model stuff. but, at one time, they were all Flagship phones and as such, they all still do an excellent job.... Every one of them.

Upvote 0
If you like to upgrade and can afford it, go for it. Is it really worth it? Not really! It's really that simple.

Not everything in life needs to be logical or make sense. Well some just can afford it and don't care, and others have different priorities. For me, if the phone is working and all the apps I need can be installed and work like they're supposed to, I'd never upgrade unless I get a great deal on a phone (without a contract of course).

Upvote 0
It may be so for you, but that doesn't mean your logic works for others. :)

I already said not everything in life needs to be logical, did you finish reading my post? Not everyone thinks like me, I already know that. But it is really that simple, is it worth upgrading every year? Not really. I went from a Droid razr to a galaxy S4 a few years ago (again just because I felt like it, everything was working fine on the old phone). Now I finally upgraded to a Nexus 6p, my S4 still works perfectly fine.

I know it isn't worth the upgrade, but I did it anyway. That's the point I was trying to make.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones