Is it ok to charge overnight?

Last Updated:

1. peekapoo

peekapoo Active Member This Topic's Starter

Some say its ok and better, but RS guy told me it would burn my battery cell real quick.

How you guys charge your battery?

Advertisement
  2. Lord Humongous

Lord Humongous Member

i have often wondered the same thing, but there really isnt any other choice unless your sitting at home/in front of a wall outlet all day.

3. grindstoneslave

grindstoneslave Well-Known Member

I have always charged mine at night while sleeping.

4. seigex

seigex Well-Known Member

Its lithium ion.. its perfectly ok.. in fact someone just posted a thread from studies that show that its better to do many small charges than fewer rundowns and long charges...most devices today with smart batteries (phones included) have trickle charge that lower the amperes coming in or completely cut off amps to the battery when fully charged

5. myersn024

myersn024 Well-Known Member

I had this big long post written that explained everything, but just take my word for it that leaving your phone plugged in over night won't cause any problems. The phone has circuitry that monitors the battery and knows when it is charged. Once that point is reached, the current is reduced to a maintenance level that just keeps the battery topped off until you unplug it.

Furthermore, seigex is right. Lithium batteries actually last longer when they're bump charged as opposed to running them completely down all the time.

6. IXIShogunR1

IXIShogunR1 Well-Known Member

it seems to only take a few hours to charge this phone

so my question is and i get mixed info when i search about it
    is leaving on the charger for 7+ hours a night good bad?
    will it hurt the battery?

whats the thoughts i this?

i did it lastnight just to test and when i woke up light was green but my battery meter said 99% instead of 100% like it normally shows

7. some.devil

some.devil Well-Known Member

I do this with all my phones with no issues.

8. backdown

backdown Well-Known Member

If it ruins your battery just get it replaced by sprint..thats what i do :D

9. teky

teky Well-Known Member

It's a smart battery, as they all are these days. It knows when it's fully charged, so there is no danger of overcharging it. The thing that slowly kills these batteries is heat. If the environment is cool, there is no problem leaving it charging as much as you want.

ocnbrze and IXIShogunR1 like this.
  10. IXIShogunR1

sounds good, guess i'll just get in the habbit of putting on the charger when i go to sleep then

11. htc.EVOlution

htc.EVOlution Well-Known Member

how do you know it's a smart battery?

I've always had the impression that it wasn't good to leave the phone on the charger overnight

12. teky

teky Well-Known Member

Here is what I mean by smart...it's an ambiguous term, to be sure. But modern Li Polymers do this across the board now:

"Much attention is focused to avoid over-charging and over-discharging. Commercial lithium ion packs contain a protection circuits that limit the charge voltage to 4.30V/cell, 0.10 volts higher than the voltage threshold of the charger. Temperature sensing disconnects the charge if the cell temperature approaches 90

13. Upright

Upright Well-Known Member

14. bobTX10

bobTX10 Well-Known Member

My battery would be at 99% rather than 100% as well, but what I think is really weird is that as soon as i take it off the charger it drains extremely quick until it reaches about 90% the slows down.

15. IXIShogunR1

yeah mine did that too today.... 99-92% in like 20 mins idol
    and my reason for asking this question

16. lyons238

lyons238 Well-Known Member

my evo also drains quickly to 90% then slows down. like within the first half an hour of using the phone its down to 90% but then it slows down. my guess is it might just be the battery monitor is not 100% accurate. either way im still getting 12-20 hours per charge ranging from light - medium - heavy use. my first day with a full charge i killed the battery in like 9 hours but i was literally on it downloading constantly for 7-8 hrs.

17. bobTX10

bobTX10 Well-Known Member

Whoa whoa I thought it was just me. Whats goin on guys...

18. IXIShogunR1

i thought i heard something about a possible bug with the evo where the battery % was a little off..... but i can't find it now

but other then that first bit of power drop the phone did good all day... i just didn't want to leave it pluged every night and find out that its bad for it, but seems to be that people say its ok to do

19. lopezpm

lopezpm Well-Known Member

I've done it with all my phones and have never had a problem.

20. SniperDroid

SniperDroid Well-Known Member

I've always left my BB on the charger overnight and it has never been a problem. I would get at least 48hrs on a charge.

21. dirkbonn

dirkbonn Well-Known Member

I have an Omnia1 and I remember seeing somewhere when I first got it about 1 year ago that it wasn't recommended to leave the charger on the phone after the phone indicated the battery was fully charged. I said it could possibly damage the battery.

I have looked for it many times. I checked the user manual and it's not there. So, maybe I dreamt it.... i just don't know. But I swear I saw it somewhere.

Oh well, evidently with all the posters here saying it hasn't caused any problems.... I must be mistaken....

22. companyman

companyman Well-Known Member

What's really weird is that if you turn the phone off, completely, and continue to let it charge until the LED indicator is green again, it takes much longer to drain from 100% to 90%.

The droid incredible was the same way. I don't know if it's the indicator or the battery itself but it's weird to say the least.

23. OhioGuy89

OhioGuy89 Well-Known Member

I've heard different things about leaving your phone plugged in and charging overnight. I've heard that it is not good for the battery (like on older phones), but I've also heard that the new smart phones have smarter batteries and it does not hurt them to be charging when they are fully charged. Can anyone give me a definitive answer on this? Thanks

24. grindstoneslave

grindstoneslave Well-Known Member

I have charged every phone I've owned over night with no problems, Same with the EVO. :D

Periphery and marctronixx like this.
  25. TheBlackPrince

TheBlackPrince Well-Known Member

I always charge overnight. Never had any issues with the battery dying out early or anything.

marctronixx likes this.