• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it ok to charge overnight?

current battery technology prevents the handset from overcharging the cells. heat is a bad thing for these batteries and they have tech in them to suspend the charging process if the temps get critical.

you can keep the phone charged up all night during the day and into the next night if you want to... same tech is in laptop batteries, medical equipment, etc.. (LI-ion and the Li-Po cells)

Upvote 0
As marctronixx said you can charge your phone for as long as you want, the only issue with charging overnight is that your phone will hit 100% and then even though it's still plugged into the wall it isnt charging anymore. This can cause your phone to go from 100% to around 90% in the first 10 min. of use. Easy way to fix this is when you get up just unplug the phone and plug it back in to make sure you are at a full 100% if battery life is a issue anyway.

Upvote 0
The battery type used in phones now don't hold a memory or anything, so really killing the battery doesn't do mich if any good. It's fine to let them sit on a charger, they have a regulator thing in them that allows for he battery to cut off charging once its full then run off of trickle charge to power the phone until you unplug it, at which point it switches to battery.

Long story short, just let the phone sit on the charger overnight and don't sweat it.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
It's not bad to charge it overnight but what you will see is that your battery will drop to the low 90's within minutes as once the device is charged, it seems to stop charging and run on battery power.

To test this theory, charge your phone until the light turns green and then remove it from the charger immediately. You will then see that it will stay in the upper 90's for a few hours as opposed to the few minutes when the device is left on the charger for a while after being fully charged.

Upvote 0
One way to avoid the "I forgot to charge my phone last night" problem, and the "I used my phone too much and now my batteries dead" etc etc issues would be:

1) buy a stand alone charger (seidio has them)
2) buy one or more extra batteries (have 3 for the evo)

This way you never have to tie up the phone to charge a battery. You can condition the battery (the first few charges can be like 10hrs) without any hassle. You'll always have a spare, fully charged battery available to pop in, and you can let the battery in the phone run down (or not) all you want.

It's really a simple thing, and once you start doing it that way, you'll never want to go back to only one battery, it's such a hassle.

Happy 4th!

Upvote 0
Okay, I know that if you leave the phone ON and charge it over night it will lose some charge after it's 100 percent because it goes back to battery. But lately if I charge it over night while OFF it still drains immediately after I turn it on. If I plug it back in until it turns green battery is great. What gives?

Upvote 0
I've heard different things about leaving your phone plugged in and charging overnight. I've heard that it is not good for the battery (like on older phones), but I've also heard that the new smart phones have smarter batteries and it does not hurt them to be charging when they are fully charged. Can anyone give me a definitive answer on this? Thanks

You just gave yourself the answer. You said its bad for older phones, true, then you said its not a problem with newer phones and that it doesn't hurt them. Evo is a new phone ;).

Upvote 0
Any phone made In the past ten years has the necessary protection from overcharging. If it didn't, it'd only take one night to kill it. And you would definitely hear about that all over.
actually it would depend on the manufacturer. depends on what they implement and how much they care for technology. I still have some doubts because if they implemented smart charge on batteries, how would they make money selling accessories.

Upvote 0
actually it would depend on the manufacturer. depends on what they implement and how much they care for technology. I still have some doubts because if they implemented smart charge on batteries, how would they make money selling accessories.

Uh, that is irrelevent to selling accessories. The battery would explode if it didn't have that protection. This is fact, all these phones have chips to control charging to maintain a charge without overcharging or damaging the phone or battery.

Upvote 0
Understand-Coleman_%281%29.jpg

:p

Upvote 0
Yes it does. The speed with wich it goes from 100% to 95% is a matter of minutes with no use. It doesn't slow down until the high 80s. What I do is, charge it at night, when I wake up I unplug it and I start get ready for my day. After about 5 mins, I plug it back it and it takes 15mins to reach 100%. I unplug it and I'm set. It will stay at 100% for quite a while after that.

Upvote 0
Yes it does. The speed with wich it goes from 100% to 95% is a matter of minutes with no use. It doesn't slow down until the high 80s. What I do is, charge it at night, when I wake up I unplug it and I start get ready for my day. After about 5 mins, I plug it back it and it takes 15mins to reach 100%. I unplug it and I'm set. It will stay at 100% for quite a while after that.

In another thread about this very issue someone posted that the phone stops using the charger when it reaches 100% and uses its own power. That's why when you unplug it in the morning it drops significantly within a few minutes. The 'green' light is a false reading of 100% when, in fact, the phone may have been working under its own power for a few hours (depending on when it actually reached the 100% during the night). Mine drops to about 92% then stabilizes. I plug it into my computer (USB port instead of wall charger) and charge it back to 100% then once unplugged it trickles down slowly and normally.

This makes sense (the use of the phone's power after charging to 100%) but i've not gotten a firm confirmation of this.

Upvote 0
No you cannot overcharge your battery or cause damage to it by charging overnight. Today's lithium ion and lithium polymer batteries cannot be overcharged. They still degrade with use over time like all other batteries, but recharge cycles are typically in the 1000-2000 range. I think the Evo battery is rated for 1000 charges.

What will damage batteries LI batteries most is overheating.

What causes the inconsistency in battery charge and battery charge levels is the actual phone itself. While today's batteries don't have built-in recharge meters like older rechargeables, the phones still have charge meters that control everything related to the battery, including charging and power draw. The interaction is similar to how gas station pumps now work. They are pressure sensitive so that they automatically stop when the tank is "full enough." That's why they can always be topped off with short bursts of fuel even after they automatically shut off. The phone works the same way, when it's full it begins limiting charge. The reason you see an immediate drop is that it stopped charging while you were asleep and doesn't resume full charging unless unplugged and replugged.

People believe batteries can be overcharged, but overcharge would actually result in overheating, expansion, then leakage from the battery. That doesn't happen any more because LI cells don't work the same as old battery cells.

Reactions: NinjaStar28
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones