• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is it possible? (Gingerbread on HTC desire)

webb415

Lurker
Mar 9, 2011
Ok I am using Froyo on my HTC desire, Which every one knows is very slow, I mean it lags in menu and during browsing. And I saw these video on youtube, Guys have installed Gingerbread on HTC desire and way too fast :D
So I am also thinking of upgrading it. I know its not out yet but many people are already using it. Is it really possible. Are there any drawbacks?

Is this legit?

Install Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread On HTC Desire [Guide]

Regards,

Wow, Its great News.

So the link I have posted, is it fine to follow their instructions? And are you guys having any bugs or problem with gingerbread?

@ SUroot

Which link? I can't happen to find the guide to install gingerbread. I really sorry for this noob question but I am new to this. I only know that my brother rooted my HTC desire a month ago. So can you be more specific? :eek:

Upvote 0
Wow, Its great News.

So the link I have posted, is it fine to follow their instructions? And are you guys having any bugs or problem with gingerbread?

@ SUroot

Which link? I can't happen to find the guide to install gingerbread. I really sorry for this noob question but I am new to this. I only know that my brother rooted my HTC desire a month ago. So can you be more specific? :eek:

The one that says Gingervillain

Reactions: webb415
Upvote 0
You always need to take a backup before flashing a new ROM just in case. For me, it is best to wipe the data and delvik cache, but not everyone does this nor needs to. It works best for me if I do.

I think you will find most people who have used GingerVillain don't look back and if you do get into any diffs there are plenty of folk to help you out.

Reactions: webb415
Upvote 0
If your phone is already rooted then all you need to do is flash a gingerbread rom.
The way I would do it is download titanium backup if you dont already have it, backup all your apps. Also you might want to backup anything else you dont want to loose eg phone numbers, sms etc.
Download the rom of your choice eg the oxygen one in the link you posted. Copy the zip file onto your sd card.
Turn the phone off.
Hold the volume down key and turn the phone back on.
The white HBoot screen should appear.
Press volume down until Recovery is highlighted, then press the power button.
The phone will now boot into recovery.
Press Vol down and go to backup and restore, then press the trackball
Backup should be highlighted, press the trackball and your phone will begin to make a backup.
Once the backup is complete you will be back in the recovery menu.
Vol down to wipe data/factory reset, press the trackball.
confirm the wipe by going down to yes - delete all user data and press the trackball.
Once this is complete go to wipe cache partition and select it, then confirm it.
Once this is done go to advanced, select it, then go to wipe dalvik cache, select it and confirm it.
Once this is done you are ready to flash the rom. Press the backup key to return to the main menu in recovery.
Go down to install zip from sdcard. select.
Then go to choose zip from sdcard. select.
find the rom you wish to install in the list. select, then confirm.
The rom will now begin installing. If it has a signature verification error, go back to the install zip from sdcard menu and select toggle signature verification then try it again.
Once it has finished select reboot system now from the main menu. Leave the phone to reboot (It can take a while the first time but leave it, dont pull the battery out)
Now your done :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones