1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Is it possible to accidently tether an lg eve?

1. patilj

patilj Member

I never made any effort to tether my lg eve. I do not even know how to do it. My question is this: is it possible to accidently tether the lg eve to a desktop pc, when trying to connect via USB cable. For example, I connect my lg eve to a desktop pc, and tried to transfer some jpgs off it. In doing so, by connect the cable, could I accidently tether the PC to this?

I think the answer would be no. :) I never tried setting up tethering before, but am only asking because I am traveling out of country and did not want to risk this PC using my LG EVE as a modem by accident.

I thought I read somewhere that LG EVE does not support tethering, but also think I read some conflicting details elsewhere, saying it was possible.

Any how, trying to avoid more nasty roaming charges. I doubt this will be an issue for me, but figured I'd ask.

Advertisement
  2. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

Hi there!

1) The phone when plugged into a PC does not automatically tether. 2) it is indeed possible using 3rd party apps from the Android market such as PDAnet etc. but I beleive none of these do it automatically even if installed on the phone (does not come pre-installed on handset).

Hope this helps and enjoy your trip!

Carl :)
  3. patilj

patilj Member

That helps a lot, even to enjoy the vacation. Went a little overboard with my roaming, and then I scared myself good reading some horror stories about similar situations. Tethering really would have caused a lot of trouble. :)

Carl C likes this.
  4. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

and download "APNdroid" to disable your internet (1 click enable/disable) totally otherwise you can come home to a shocking bill :eek:
  5. patilj

patilj Member

Agreed! I did the next best thing - removed the battery altogether and gave it to my wife. I did not need to bring this thing on the trip :)

6. Jay-Eff

Jay-Eff Well-Known Member

Watch dog is so much better for this.
    You still need APN droid but with Watchdog you can set it up to automatically shut down your data when you reach a certain limit of your data plan.

When your data plan reset it will again automatically re-enable your data.
    Plus there is a widget that give you your data usage.
    http://www.androlib.com/android.application.net-rgruet-android-g3watchdog-zzA.aspx