Is it possible to backup/restore Captivate? (similar to iPhone)Support

Last Updated:

1. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Say if your phone breaks or gets lost/stolen and you can a replacement...is there a way to restore the new phone to have the same app/settings as the old one or do you have to manually reinstall and reconfigure everything?

Advertisement
  2. JEF81

JEF81 Active Member

I have heard the once we get Froyo for Captivate Google will offer a desktop app that will allow you to back uo the phone and apps, etc. Can anyone out there who knows more about this comment? I am interested in saving my settings and apps too in case the phone is broken.

3. lilo

lilo Well-Known Member

There are applications on the Market that allow to back up phone apps and data to SD card. The back up files can then be copied to desktop computer using regular techniques. It seems that the most popular app is Titanium Backup but it requires rooting.

4. ilusv

ilusv Well-Known Member

It will be really nice to have an application that will handle the backup of the phone along with a two way sync with outlook. Has anything been officially confirmed?

5. lilo

lilo Well-Known Member

Check the threads about Kies. It's a Samsung application for PC that allows you to do backups and tons of other things (like tethering).

6. ilusv

ilusv Well-Known Member

Been trying to get Kies to work for the last week with no success. Tried two different PCs (xp 32bit and vista 64bit) with no luck what so ever. Followed all the recommendations in the threads. Thinking about flashing my firmware as last resort.

7. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Im on a Mac so Kies isn't an option for me I don't think.

8. skinien

skinien Well-Known Member

That would be nice! This is on Google's android website:
    Data backup

Apps can participate in data backup and restore, to ensure that users maintain their data after performing a factory reset or when switching devices.

Android 2.2 Platform Highlights | Android Developers

9. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

10. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

I'd love to have something like I used on my Palm: Resco Backup

Could do manual or scheduled full backups to SD card. Many, many times I tested this by doing a full factory reset... looked at SD card, ran the app, told it to do full restore, and seconds later my Palm was exactly to the way it was before.

Perfect and painless. I need something like that for the Captivate.

11. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

I think 2 (if not all 3) of those listed in post above your does that. But not absolutely positive, and have not tested. Tests could bring surprises.

12. tekonus

tekonus Well-Known Member

Kies is a steaming pile of crap... I wish it wasn't, but it is.

Cramp likes this.
  13. JEF81

JEF81 Active Member

I have kies installed but can't figure out how to do a backup. Seems like it's mostly for transferring media. Any suggestions?

14. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

Just read some reviews on Sprite and Titanium (two that I have installed), and Titanium had much higher reviews, and it sounds like you will not be able to get all back like before with Sprite, according to review. Didn't see that specific topic mentioned on Titanium. May need to read more reviews. In any event a person should probably plan on doing their own test before expecting it to work in such an effective way.

15. PKSA.Tim

PKSA.Tim Member

If nobody answered you on how to get it to work, right click the icon and choose to run as admin.

16. Spaz888

Spaz888 Active Member

I always come to this forum to see what if anything have changed. This time I too was looking at trying to backup the entire device including SMS messages onto my PC.

It's the same old, same old. Some, actually only a very few seem to recommend KIES. Like most people who are posting, KIES is crap and it doesn't work for me either on Windows 7 or XP environment. Sure, it'll install but at best my captivate will run only in MASS storage mode and nothing can be backed up unless I use an app from Google Market place. This is the main reason why I dislike Samsung software. And to add insult to injury their support is useless and leaves one only frustrated that they want to throw their phone out the window.

IMHO, Samsung (newer) phones are ok but their desktop software is junk. I have never seen such a large and well known company as Samsung create such crap. It's unbelievable.

17. hotrod4x5

hotrod4x5 Well-Known Member

Does it have to be a Samsung ap? Aren't there other Android aps for backing up?

I've had my captivate for a few months now, just getting to the point and doing research on backing up.