• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it possible to block cellular data using an app?

Like the title says I would like to know if it is possible for an app to block all cellular data use. If so, how would I go about building such an app?

The app has already been built.

Automateit will allow you to turn Data off and on using shortcuts on your home screen.

All you need to do is define rules with a "manual trigger" and a Data on or off action.

You can then create shortcuts to these rules on your home screen.

Pretty slick for a free app. I use it all the time.

-Dave

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I just discovered that under 5.1 a third-party app (Tasker) on an un-rooted phone can turn WiFi Off and On.

I went to WiFi | settings | Advanced and turn o everything but ...
Scanning always available
Avoid bad Wi-Fi connections
... and I can now toggle WiFi using Tasker.

(This is very important to me because I have a pair of Tasker profiles that turn WiFi off when I am away from the office and turn it back on when I return. This stops my phone from attempting to connect to WiFi networks ... like in a customer's office.)

... Thom

Last edited:
Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
No ... it seems to be a glitch in the system WiFi control. I have now set everything in ... WiFi | Settings | Advanced ... back to the way they were and I can still toggle WiFi On and Off through Tasker on a never-been-root-ed Droid Turbo 64GB.

I just reproduced the problem on another phone (Droid Maxx running 4.4.4). There is no issue with 5.1. The issue was with the previous release of Tasker. When I upgraded to the most recent release of Tasker the problem disappeared and I could Toggle WiFi on and off.

So ... with the most recent release of Tasker I can toggle WiFi on 4.4.4 and 5.1.

... Thom

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones