Is it possible to brick your Droid X while rooting?

Last Updated:

1. Phoenix Zero

Phoenix Zero Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Are there any "dangerous" steps that may cause your phone to brick if you don't do them correctly while rooting? I don't have my Droid yet (already shipped from a location 4 hours away) and by the sound of it, there is a whole bunch of crapware that I'll want to delete right off the bat and rooting is the only way.

Advertisement
  2. irmac

irmac Well-Known Member

As always, there is risk in rooting.

Just follow the video and you should be fine. I hold no responsibility if you do brick the phone.

3. SiXiam

SiXiam Well-Known Member

Biggest risk now is deleting Verizon's Backup Assistant, don't do it!

4. Phoenix Zero

Phoenix Zero Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, sounds good. Thanks for the replies guys.

5. vaio

vaio Well-Known Member

His right! I did it and now my phone wont start.
    I did a hard reset and Im stuck on bootloader 29.01

IS THERE ANY WAY TO RESTORE MY PHONE?

6. anaphora68

anaphora68 Well-Known Member

Not unless you saved the .apk you removed. You can try using ADB and pushing it back into the system...past that, we need an .SBF file that you can restore the phone with. Without a recovery image of some sort, we're sort of screwed.

The ONLY apps I removed were City ID and Blockbuster. I'm not touching anything else for now until I can make some sort of system backup, or have an .sbf file to use restore.

7. JA1234

JA1234 Well-Known Member

that is what my phone did during the ota update on the 19th. and noone knew then other then try a battery pull that didnt work. now its a big black screen (like battery died and wont charge) after I went to the motorola trouble shooting devices page and it telling me that it had software ready ti install.

I paid full retail for my phone. There is no way I would risk rooting it this early in the game. To many unknowns... but yalll have fun. If and when I get my replacement device I will be happy with the OS it has on it and just ignore the apps I dont care for. and I dont mind tethering via cable...

this sucks having to be back on my BB8703e. I miss my droid and now they are telling me the 3rd

8. kprst6

kprst6 Active Member

Or you could simply ask someone for a copy of the file...

9. krichek

krichek Well-Known Member

I paid full retail as well and rooted shortly after the files were posted. I feel there is very little risk in the actual root process. Where the danger lies is in mucking around with the actual files and what not. I didn't plan on doing that, therefore for me the risk was very low.

10. mjones1052

mjones1052 Member

Your exactly right. The rooting process is simple and hard to mess up. The problem arises when people start messing around with stuff they really don't know about. All these preloaded apps are imbedded in to the Motorola overlay, and deleting them breaks things.

11. whec716

whec716 Member

So if messing with the preloaded apps breaks things, what's the point of rooting?

12. mjones1052

mjones1052 Member

If you
    If you think rooting is to remove bloatware your very wrong lol and totally miss the point. We root for admin rights so we can load custom recoveries and roms. And without having a custom working recovery and nandroid it is not smart to start deleting ingrained apps without knowledge of what your doing....

13. genxgeek

genxgeek Well-Known Member

Ok so us newbies should avoid deleting, but is it very safe to use a program like startup manager to disable the programs that we don't want to run?

14. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

right.

genxgeek likes this.
  15. grdm

grdm New Member

16. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

i had clicked on the backup assistant to remove it then i thought...hmmm, i may just need it. glad i thought that time!

17. donayre21

donayre21 New Member

OMG i intalled my invisible shield in the droid x and i think water got inside of it now when i turn it says boot but after that i try to do it again and nothen its just a blank screen with a screaching sounds what do i do :(((((

18. bobomatic

bobomatic Well-Known Member

im not sure if you being stuck on bootloader will let you get into the files on the phone.... but heres a link for all the OEM files...

systemapp.zip

good luck