• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it possible to change android versions? (From another phone)

Rayzala

Lurker
Jul 7, 2014
Recently got my first android phone, love everything about it..but this color scheme on the Samsung Galaxy S5 is so ugly. My friend got a Sony Xperia the other day and I love his operating system, everything is black and looks very clean.

Is it possible for me to download his version of android and put it on my phone?

If it is possible, will it void my warranty?

It's not as easy as it sounds (or even possible). Those color schemes, among other things, are what are known as skins. Each manufacturer puts their own spin on Android.
There are plenty of ways to make your S5 look as much as an Xperia device as possible.
One of the quickest is to use a different launcher such as Nova and apply an Xperia theme to it.
There are other ways that involve rooting. But, in quick summation: No you can't install the version of Android on your S5, but you can certainly beautify it. :)

Upvote 0
It's not as easy as it sounds (or even possible). Those color schemes, among other things, are what are known as skins. Each manufacturer puts their own spin on Android.
There are plenty of ways to make your S5 look as much as an Xperia device as possible.
One of the quickest is to use a different launcher such as Nova and apply an Xperia theme to it.
There are other ways that involve rooting. But, in quick summation: No you can't install the version of Android on your S5, but you can certainly beautify it. :)

I agree,with everything said here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones