Is it possible to disable the optical trackball??Support

Last Updated:

1. stroemgaard

stroemgaard New Member This Topic's Starter

Dear all

I have used my HTC desire for a month now and I am very pleased with this ultimate android phone.

I have only one issue with the phone/system though. The optical trackball is hyper sensitive. Whenever I use the phone ouside and the sun is shining, then the track ball activates due to the light and the phone/system uses the input to always scroll to the right. This is pretty annoying because this means that I cannot use the phone outside. Resently I also discovered that a small lamp next to my couch can activate the trackball as well.

Does anyone know if its possible to disable the optical trackball or am I the only one who has this problem?

If so then maybe it's a hardware error and I will try to return the phone.
    As a temporarily solution I have placed a sticker on top of the track ball.

Best regards Stroemgaard

Advertisement
  2. Yenzehn

Yenzehn Well-Known Member

Okay, that sounds really strange - I have never had this happen to me even on a very sunny day.

I cannot find a way to this on a software basis, but couldn't you just block sunlight into the trackball by covering it with something?

A bit of a clumsy solution, and I do think that this sounds like a bug you should get checked out.

3. czechplastik

czechplastik Well-Known Member

Yeh this is very weird. Mine is fine in sunlight and played with a few lamps there....nothing.

I agree with yenzehn, something is not right there.

4. tomq

tomq Well-Known Member

just tried a bulb, led, uv and laser and nothing. not sure what to say

5. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

I was using mine yesterday in 29 degree heat (very hot for England!!) and it was fine... the trackpad is very sensitive but only to touch.

Sounds like yours might be faulty, I'd look into getting it swapped.

6. runamonk

runamonk Well-Known Member

Put a piece of tape over it.

7. Jake27

Jake27 New Member

I've been getting this same problem as well, it happens to me about 3 times a week and it's very annoying, it scrolls right once every one or two seconds and I can't use the phone while it's happening.

8. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Erm, the thing is, if your digitiser dies (the screen over the AMOLED screen that interprets the touch input), your phone will be useless until you replace it. How would you turn the trackpad back on? At least with the trackpad on, you could navigate the phone a little and use its basic functions.

9. bozzer

bozzer Active Member

Try a black dry wipe marker dabbed a few times in there. If you have any problems it can just be wiped away.

Europa76 likes this.
  10. Europa76

Europa76 Active Member

I had exactly the same problem on my Desire Z and I took your advice and so far so good. I used a black permanent marker and covered the trackball with a thin transparent tape. Thanks!