Is it possible to do a manual firmware update without rooting the device?

Last Updated:

1. mikus01

mikus01 New Member This Topic's Starter

Dec 6, 2010
    Hi guys, I've bought a Samsung Captivate and I'm in love with the phone, however I'd like to experience Android in all it's "Froyious" glory... The thing is I'm not an AT&T customer and I'm not paying for any kind of data/3G plan. I've read somewhere that firmware updates are not possible over wi-fi so that means no official AT&T Froyo update for me. Since I still have the 1 yr Samsung warranty ( bought it last week ) I'd like to know if there's a way for me to do a manual firmware update without rooting my phone. Thanks in advance ;)

2. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Considering that the past update was also available via Kies Mini as well as OTA, presumably the Android 2.2 update will also be available via Kies Mini. So you're not out of luck.

Bet on that for the time being unless after 2.2 comes out I'm actually proven wrong.
  3. s.m.knipe

s.m.knipe Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2010
    OTA and KIES mini both do not require root. The OTA update just directs the phone to a certain file on Google's servers; so once activated and people grab the url from log files for the upgrade process, you can direct your browser to the url and download the update file. Then use ASTRO or some other file explorer with re-naming capabilities, and rename the downloaded file (will be something like "update_JH7ToJK?.zip") to "". Then simply turn off your device, and boot up into recovery (using the "three-button method" of holding volume up and down when you power on the device), and select "re-install packages" ( I think that's what it is called, I don't really remember right now), and that's it. So you can grab Froyo (once we have it leaked or released) without root and without even an OTA notification message or fooling around with that "check for update" crap that so many are having issues with!
    Andrewdroid likes this.