• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is it possible to edit the stock keyboard?

Oodalolly

Lurker
Apr 5, 2011
I would like to preface my post with a preemptive apology if this sort of post has been made before /u.u\

I was wondering if it was possible to edit the stock htc sense keyboard application in the following ways: remove the arrow keys, remap the which alternate characters are associated with which keys, change color/size/shape of the soft keys, add Smiley shortcuts similar to the keyboard in a way similar to the Smart Keyboard (by Dexilog, LLC), and decrease the time it takes long press to select alternate characters. The things I most desparately want to do are remove the arrows so the keyboard will be wider, and change which although characters are under each letter.

I was wondering if there were any way for me to possibly get ahold of the source code for the HTC sense keyboard, change it to my liking, and add it to my phone like any other third-party keyboard. I cannot stress enough that I only want to use this customized keyboard for my own personal use, and in no way do I intend to make profit with this.

The only other option I would have would be to start from scratch and create my own keyboard, but the auto-correct, auto-capitalize, user dictionary, talk to text, and general keyboard functions of the stock keyboard are all wonderful, all I want is a little personalization.

Also, hopefully I can accomplish these things without rooting my phone, though I'm not too worried about this as I don't see how that could possibly be necessary.

Welcome BenHT!
To edit the stock keyboard layout would mean to pull the apk for it and re-write for the particular device and make it work with the device. Waaaay over my head.

There are alot of other keyboards in the Play Store that may allow you to choose options for different button layouts etc.

What are you looking for in particular?

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones