Is it possible to get BBM on android?

1. johnbhoyc

johnbhoyc Well-Known Member

My boy wants a blackberry 9900 for Christmas so he can talk to his friends on bbm. Even though he prefers android/ios (he has an ipad and a htc desire s). He's basically sacrificing the chance to have a top end phone like a sgs3 for a blackberry just so he can talk to his friends on it, apparently bbm is very popular with 14 year olds.

Is there anyway you can get bbm on android? seems like a lot of faking it going on on youtube and the like.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Wilkas

Wilkas Well-Known Member

I don't think it's possible, you could get him a cheap blackberry playbook for the BBM... they're practically giving them away now.

EDIT: There was actually rumours about it coming to android last year, I remember now seeing it on techradar showing the BBM icon on an android handset but haven't heard anything since.

I wouldn't buy a BB just yet, the new ones are right round the corner
  3. gtbarry

gtbarry Well-Known Member

If it does come to Android it could only be via Blackberry's consent. As BBM goes through their proprietary servers.

From a business POV, this would not make sense. As BBM is in some cases the only thing keeping a handful of people on blackberry to begin with.
  4. Ghost10bxl

Ghost10bxl Well-Known Member

If he wants Android and BBM, then you should buy him SGS3 and some cheap old blackberry just for BBM and GS3 for everything else.
    It's not possible to have BBM on Android, BBM is only for BlackBerrys
  5. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

No Android offers the encryption algorithms necessary for BBM, and never will.
  6. TgeekB

TgeekB Well-Known Member

First, there is no BBM on the Playbook. Not yet that is.
    Second, a blackberry plan is different from an Android plan so, if he had both devices, he could only use one at a time and would have to call to change the data plan every time.
    The 9900 is an excellent device so, if he wants to make the switch, he would be getting the current best blackberry. The new devices are due out Q1 2013.