Is it possible to move apk files on non-rooted phone?

Last Updated:

1. ItsMikeE

ItsMikeE Member

I have a non-rooted HTC Desire running Froyo
    Although I can move (some) applications to my SD card, I still have apk files for those applications on the internal 'disk'.
    Is it possible to move these files to the SD card on a non-rooted phone?

2. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Does app to sd require root? If so, yes.
  3. Legato

Legato Well-Known Member

just use z4root...and only set it to give you temporary root. Once you reboot you lose root status and all traces you had root
  4. ItsMikeE

ItsMikeE Member

That looks useful, I will give it a go.
    Will I be notificed of updates if APKs are in a different location?
    Do you recommend setting up a symlink?
  5. T.M.M.L

T.M.M.L Well-Known Member

I'm no expert by far, but I think that if you have the apk's on your phone, they probably need to be there. I'm looking at it like a computer. If you install a program and it puts a icon on your desktop, then you move the program to a different folder without informing the P.C., clicking that icon will get you nothing but errors.

I don't have apps to sd, but I figure the app would have to be installed from the SD, not just moved later.
  6. Legato

Legato Well-Known Member

Never tried Symlink, no idea what it does. But if you use Apps2SD you will be notified of updates, as it links the app on the SD to the phoen still. If you just straight cut and paste the apps you won't be notified and i doubt the app would still work. You need to use something like Apps2SD
  7. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Can you clarify the exact location? If it's a downloaded APK that you used to install the app you can move it freely. If the APK was placed under /system/(I forget the full path) after the package installer installed it then you can't just move it around. You need to use App2SD or similar to move it.

That's not the best analogy. Shortcuts are updated automatically if the target is moved. At least they are in Windows.

No, they can be moved back and forth. There's a button in application management for each app to do so. The location you installed from is irrrelevant.
  8. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Looks like I misread the first post.

If you move the apk file from the system/ folder, it would be equivalent to uninstalling it.