Is it possible to play avi files on desireSupport

Last Updated: 2011-11-14 11:54:33
  1. jaspabt1

jaspabt1 Well-Known Member

Hi, this is my first thread on the forums.
    Picked up my Desire yesterday. Its my first foray into the android OS, hence why i am new to these forums.
    Already i can see that android is significantly better than Winmo 6.5 which was awful in my opinion.

To my question....
    Is there an app that can play avi files? If not is there something that is free to use that can convert the files to a format that suits the Desire.

I have searched the forums and market place but with no luck :(

Any help or advice would be great :)

Hope to have many fun days chatting on the forum :p

Advertisement
  2. sparklehedgehog

sparklehedgehog Active Member

i've tried many players from the marketplace to no avail so i am interested in this answer
  3. sandozer

sandozer Well-Known Member

I had a similar problem, but luckily my other phone is a Nokia N95. Nokia have an excellent free video convertor called "Internet Tablet Video Converter" which is what I use, hope this is of some help..!

Just had a look to where I got it from on Nokia, sorry it has now been archived for no reason.... :mad:
  4. 400ixl

400ixl Well-Known Member

Simplest way I have found is to use an app called Doubletwist on your PC and it will convert it from avi to mp4 on the fly as it sync's it across.
  5. jaspabt1

jaspabt1 Well-Known Member

In answer to my question.......No app seems to allow the playing of Avi files yet. There is mention of Divx compatibility in a future release so this will be a welcome edition to what is otherwise a fantastic phone.
    I downloaded doubletwist to my computer and this does work well. It still takes a while to convert the file (30 mins to do a film) but it does it seamlessly without you having to select a file type etc. Thanks to 400ixl for pointing it out and lekky in his other posts
  6. Mitch Rapp

Mitch Rapp New Member

Can someone tell me file format a file must be in to watch on my Desire downloaded from gmail?
  7. DMXXX

DMXXX Well-Known Member

you can use Rockplayer to play Xvid/Divx. Free from market.
  8. elbraddo

elbraddo Well-Known Member

Yes - you can use Ropckplayer but it has annoying ads on the screen, and even on the paid version, you cannot get rid of the "R" that it displays in corner of screen.

I use video editing software (powerdirector 8) to convert AVI to mpeg4. I can convert a 350MB 1 hour avi into mpeg 4, in around 4 minutes. Not really a big hassle.
  9. partridge

partridge Well-Known Member

The "R" is hardly a problem, it's not different to a tv channel logo.

I use Rockplayer; it's superb. But if 2.2 brings Divx compatability then I'll probably ditch it
  10. Homiluis

Homiluis New Member

well as i of right now i found an app that plays dowloaded avi files from the android phone. its called "Moboplayer" you could get it on the android market for free.. it does play the files is just that the audio skips sometimes while the file is playing but other than that it does work.. Hope later on they could update that problem. hope this helps.:D
  11. alshop

alshop Member

+1 for moboplayer. Great app.
  12. madhatter1689

madhatter1689 Well-Known Member

did a search in the market for avi and a number of players came up. I chose Seaman Player and can confirm it plays avi files but was well out of sync. Tried Rockplayer Lite and it was much better..
  13. Usta

Usta Well-Known Member

There are many players now that can handle avi files. The best ones I've tried are MoboPlayer, VitalPlayer, QQPlayer, RockPlayer, etc. There is enough choice.
  14. heat57

heat57 Well-Known Member

I am using VPlayer which plays AVI & Divx off the bat in great quality.
  15. Usta

Usta Well-Known Member

That's a nice player. Unfortunately, it is not freeware, as the ones mentioned above.
  16. heat57

heat57 Well-Known Member

I appreciate that, but if you can afford to run a smartphone I think the price of under $5 should not be a serious hurdle. Don't you think?:rolleyes:
  17. Kennym

Kennym Member

My paid verson doesn't have the "R" displayed.
  18. Usta

Usta Well-Known Member

Sure, $5 is nothing for a good app. :)
    However, an app needs to justify its cost (with extra features or better performance), when there are free alternatives available that can do the same job.
  19. rowlers

rowlers Well-Known Member

I paid for rockplayer... got fed up of it losing audio/video sync, tried moboplayer for FREE and it is FAR better. love it
  20. Usta

Usta Well-Known Member

Yes, I've tested some HD videos and MoboPlayer performed better than RockPlayer...
  21. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

or just use rock player lite