Is it possible to root the MyTouch Fender edition?

Last Updated:

1. cmarti

cmarti Member This Topic's Starter

I got it two weeks ago, it has the 32A and would like to root to get all the goodies and more important to run apps off the memory card.

Advertisement
  2. ryanoption

ryanoption Active Member

Rooting that phone is hell bro...go to the unlockr website and make a goldcard...follow his steps but don't upload the rom he has posted go to xda and grab cursordroid stock rom radio and hboot..rename the long hboot filename hboot.img and follow those directions.. its the only rom u can run right now with zero probs...was told this by xda devs today...you'll have to do some searching on apps2sd...not sure we can use it yet..if we can let me know I rooted last night/morning/afternoon that's one of the reasons i did this was to free up space...this rom frees up almost all my phone memory and is quick as hell!

cmarti likes this.
  3. ryanoption

ryanoption Active Member

Also flipping to landscape is a breeze...and either the battery icon doesnt work or something about this rom has relieved the battery of work it just doesnt die!

cmarti likes this.
  4. cmarti

ryanoption, thanks for the reply!

I will get me an extra micro SD to do this and work on it the weekend. Hopefully all goes OK. I don't want to brick it.

I was looking on craiglist for someone that I could pay to do it but seems no one in Orlando, FL is doing the Fender yet.

5. ryanoption

ryanoption Active Member

Its its pretty damn hard to brick this phone lol!I was flashng all kinds of spl and radios and it just would not brick thankfully but god was my phone a mess...after going through the steps it made me wonder how ne1 could brick it!Make the goldcard...flash cursordroids radio and spl through fastboot located in the xda forums and also the amon ra 1.6.2G recovery ...that guy is very helpful I dontated some funds for his rom but was not asked to do so.You can easily do it just takes time I just went for it and here I am..rooted on 1.6 and waiting for new roms!Just make sure before u begin you nand backup the current state of your phone!

cmarti likes this.
  6. cmarti

And how do I do this? I goggle it but it mentioned something about android 2.0 and I have 1.6.

Do I need to root first to do this?

7. ryanoption

ryanoption Active Member

Ok go to theunlockr.com
    Then follow the steps on making the goldcard just search for it on his site make sure ur following the mytouch 1.2 steps..a lot of downloading and having ur phone plugged into your computer...then you have to go to xda and get amon ra 1.6.2G recovery and flash cursordroids radio and spl...so half unlockr and the rest cursordroid and ya got it!Goldcard is the hardest part in my opinion now that ive gone through the process

cmarti likes this.
  8. ryanoption

ryanoption Active Member

You do need root to get a custom recovery so basically do everything on unlockr but do not flash his rom or recovery get the one I mentioned above from cursordroid on xda...

cmarti likes this.
  9. cmarti

Thanks man!

ryanoption likes this.
  10. cmarti

Got it rooted but I am trying to update the radio and spl and I've got stuck here:

- From a command prompt, navigate to the folder where you saved the files above.
    - Type in these commands:
    Code:
    fastboot flash radio Radio_HTC_PVT_32A_6.35.10.18.img
    fastboot flash hboot hboot-1.76.2007.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img
    fastboot erase system -w
    fastboot reboot-bootloader
    I am running on my PC win 7 64, any pointers?

11. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation VIP Member

Make sure when typing that they're spelled exactly how you saved them on your computer.

12. ryanoption

ryanoption Active Member

Go to unlockr.Com and search root fender mytouch...perfect instructions...better do it quick before the ota 2.1 comes out...it may be patched better do it while rooting is still as simple as those instructions...they weren't up yet when I rooted so it was pretty difficult...I bet a few days after 2.1 comes out someone will find an exploit but I'm staying rooted on 2.1 until after the ota until I see what's up...

13. ryanoption

ryanoption Active Member

Change the name of the radio and spl files to radio.img and hboot.img...that should do it

14. ryanoption

ryanoption Active Member

So yea go to the folder where you unpacked all the stock stuff...change the radio to radio.img and the SPL to hboot.img
    Then type this
    fastboot flash radio radio.img
    fastboot flash hboot hboot.img
    Should work like a charm