Is it possible to use a unlock the TBolt for overseas carriers?General

Last Updated:

1. AlexOnVinyl

AlexOnVinyl Well-Known Member

Is it possible for people to unlock the TBolt for use with overseas carriers for visits or what not?

2. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

The THunderbolt is not a world phone, it only has CDMA and LTE radios, to use overseas you need GSM radios. So it won't work overseas, sorry.
  3. AlexOnVinyl

AlexOnVinyl Well-Known Member

I read an article somewhere that I could do something similar with the radios - is this true? A CDMA phone working through GSM?
  4. jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008 Member

The Thunderbolt is by no means a World phone, and although it has SIM card setup, it really is only a CDMA phone with an LTE (which happens to be GSM) radio strapped to its back. So can you use a CDMA phone as a World phone? No.

But I wish! Verizon Wireless is the only carrier in the world that will allow the Thunderbolt to function completely, simultaneous voice and data over 3G, 4G.

It kind of makes you think about the GSM iPhone and how many carriers will accommodate it. Although even that is getting more difficult now that LTE is spreading- many countries still barely have LTE if at all, so realistically an iPhone 4s will only see 3G at best overseas.