Is it possible to use an inactive Android like an iPod touch?

1. jsnowash

jsnowash New Member

One of my kids REALLY wants an ipod touch, but I'm not willing to spend the $$ on a device she might easily loose or break.... I was wondering if it would work to get an inexpensive android phone (either used or a cheap pre-paid phone, Cricket, Netzero, etc.), leave it unactivated (she doesn't need it as a phone), load on some game apps, music, etc., and let her use it like an ipod touch. If the phone isn't activated, would we be able to access wi-fi to download apps?

Advertisement
    :
  2. No_u

No_u Well-Known Member

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

You can activate it with kid's gmail address, then turn it offline mode, remove Sim, then when you boot it up activate wifi.
    UssjTrunks likes this.
  4. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

Not all phones have SIM card slots, though. CDMA phones do not. Cricket and Boost use the Sprint network, which is CDMA. But most phones will allow you to set airplane mode and then you can manually turn on wifi, which basically make it an iPod Touch.
    dan330 likes this.
  5. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

go to craigslist.org
    find a good deal on used android.

to go your pc..
    create a google gmail account for your kid.

use the gmail account for the phone.
    only turn on wifi.

i have an old hero, that my kid uses...
  6. ouch1976

ouch1976 Well-Known Member

Absolutely! I have an OG Droid with a cracked screen that the kids use. There's no SIM card on most older Verizon 3G phones. You just skip the activation step, hit the home button, and you're free to play. And if you add your gmail account, you should be able to download all the apps you've already purchased. You can get a Droid OG for like $50 on craigslist and you don't have to spend any money on apps. It's a great setup.
  7. John Redcorn

John Redcorn Well-Known Member

Keep in mind any non-activated phone, cdma or gsm even without a sim can still call 911. Probably even from airplane mode. This may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your kid's understanding of 911.
  8. NMC813

NMC813 Member

I hope she isn't wanting specific apps.
    Maybe she wants apple apps. This reminds me of how my mom always bought me generic stuff. I asked for Keds and got some Walmart brand lol.

Not saying android is generic. I love my android phone and google TV. But I like apple too.

Sent from my iPad2.
  9. jsnowash

jsnowash New Member

Can you elaborate for me? The phone I'm considering for her is a Cricket phone, so CDMA, I guess (considering either ZTE Score or Samsung Vitality, both on sale for a pretty reasonable price right now). Can a CMDA phone be used this way?
  10. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Yes, any CDMA phone can be used as a PMP.

To avoid "E911" issues, simply remove the dialer app from the phone. (Needs root acces)