Is it possible to use Gmail Chat on an Android phone?

1. yeto

yeto Member

Is it possible to use Gmail Chat on an Android phone? When I open my Gmail app I don't see a link to click on for chat like I do when I open Gmail with my computer. How do I get to Gmail chat?

Thanks,
    yeto

Advertisement
  2. Ikenstein

Ikenstein Well-Known Member

I believe on most phones the Gmail chat app is called "Talk". Look in your apps for it.
    IOWA likes this.
  3. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

100% Correct. It's called talk, it's built into all Google Experience Android phones.
  4. yeto

yeto Member

So with google Talk would I actually be able to dial and talk to anyone even if they don't have a Google account or is it just for texting?

Thanks,
    yeto
  5. Svperstar

Svperstar Member

I use the Gmail app myself and it auto-signs you into Google Voice. I found this out when an old college friend messaged me and said whats up on my Android(I don't use IMs anymore just Facebook)

Thought it was odd the Gmail app never asked me if I wanted to be signed into chat, it simply did it.
  6. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

Talk is for instant messaging and the other person must have it and be signed in.

Google Voice is for placing/receiving calls and sending/receiving SMS (text) messages, it doesn't do MMS (picture messages) yet. The other person does not need Google Voice.
  7. yeto

yeto Member

Thanks for the reply.

I need to be able to "talk" to someone so I guess Google Talk is out for me. Also, the Google Voice app is not available for my phone (ZTE Score). Would I somehow be able to use Gchat/Google chat to "talk" to someone using VOIP?

Thanks in advance for any help,
    yeto
  8. sgosnell

sgosnell Well-Known Member

If you have an Android phone, then Google Voice should work on it. If it really won't install, then you can try Skype. That's the main VOIP competition. It's not as good as Google's VOIP, but it mostly works. The prices are about the same.
  9. yeto

yeto Member

Do you know if Gchat/Gmail Chat will work on an Android phone?

Thanks,
    yeto
  10. sgosnell

sgosnell Well-Known Member

Of course it will. I use it all the time, and when Google developed Android, and released Google chat for Android, they made sure it would work. Very embarrassing if it wouldn't, no? But Talk is only for instant messaging, not voice. For VOIP, use Google Voice, which is different from Talk, and does indeed allow voice calls.
  11. _kweso

_kweso Well-Known Member

what i find odd. google communication is so fragmented (talk, voice, g+messenger, hangouts). they really should pack all of that in one channel (like skype). for mobile as for desktop...

but what am i whining to you. should adress this to google. but they dont seem to listen ;)

anyway...
    have a nice day...
    kws
  12. regression

regression Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, the Google Voice app by itself is not VOIP. You will use your cell phone minutes using it. If you want VOIP, you will have to use another app, such as GrooVe IP.
  13. _kweso

_kweso Well-Known Member

really?!? wtf... can't believe that...
  14. regression

regression Well-Known Member

15. mydian

mydian Well-Known Member

This is kind of an old thread but since it was dug up and I see some incorrect information in a few posts above I figured I would put my 2 cents in.

Google Talk is an instant messenger client for Gmail that comes on most android phones. Unlike iMessage or BBM it is available cross platform. It does allow audio chat and video calls to other Android phones (requires Gingerbread or newer) or to someone who is signed into their Gmail account on the web with their desktop pc. I use the video feature quite a bit. Works great. I've also used the audio call feature (VOIP).

Google Voice is for making phone calls. Sure, you can use Groove IP to use VOIP to make a phone call with your Google voice number but that's a totally different thing.
  16. PhoebeDog

PhoebeDog Member

I have used Gmail video chat for some time, and suddenly when my friend calls me it defaults to my Note 2. I don't want to sit here and hold my phone in front of my face, I want to use the computer. Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can stop it? If I go to the Talk app and sign out, will it stop defaulting to my phone? Is that the problem?
  17. lucky013

lucky013 Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same. I have a nexus 7 and an Android phone both with the same account. How do you use two devices with Hangouts?