Is it really that simple to unlock and root an N1 nowadays?

Last Updated:

1. jfbaro

jfbaro Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I have just watched that video and it seemed much easier than I previously thought (from reading foruns/blogs).

YouTube - Nexus One Hack - How to Install the Cyanogen Mod on your Nexus One!

I don't even need a laptop to do the job, just put both the ROM and the google apps add-on into the microSD.

I would like to unlock my phone (stock Nexus One) and then install the latest Cyanogen (which I think is 5.0.5.1).

Is it really that simple as seen in the video (although, in the end of the video, the guy seemed to have edited it... maybe the flash didn't work as expected)? :confused:

I am willing to root it so that I can BUY apps for N1, put a better keyboard (one which will hopefully suggest words in Brazilian Portuguese), install set CPU, Torch, Wifi tethering among other things.

What you guys would recommend me? Should I go for it?

I am still a bit worried about having some problem and end up bricking the phone. And it is quite an expensive toy. :p

Cheers

Advertisement
  2. peadar

peadar Well-Known Member

I rooted mine a few days ago so I could buy apps from the market. I used a computer, however, to do it. It took me about half an hour, but only because I'm awkward with these things.

If I had to do it all again, it would take me ten minutes. The instructions I used are here.

3. smitty24

smitty24 Well-Known Member

yup its simple. peadar gave a good link to xda (which links to unlockr.com - which is what i used.) super simple. go for it!

4. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

The N1's the easiest Android device to root since, well, ever thanks to the built-in oem unlock command. I'm not sure if there're new methods by now, but I believe you still need a computer for the process (unless there's some way to fastboot oem unlock through a terminal emulator? Dunno, think you need the adb for that), though once you've done it, flashing new ROMs can be done on the fly without any need for a computer.