is it rooted?

Last Updated:

1. portia

portia New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

I've got an HTC Desire. I followed the guide on this website:
    How To: Root the HTC Desire (Unrevoked Method) | TheUnlockr
    to root the phone. I checked USB debugging option on the phone and run the flash software - I used a linux version (the steps on the website concentrate on windows)
    I just run ./reflash software. It did some things on the phone, rebooted a few times and the program on a computer said that the operation is complete. I entered the pin to my card and it is up and running (no data seems to be lost like contacts or something)

Now I've got 3 questions:
    1. How can I know if it's been successful. I mean when I open a terminal application on my phone I can become root now (su)! That probably means it's been successful.

2. There's a third (optional) step in the tutorial - loading a custom ROM
    Now why would one do it? What are the benefits? Sorry I'm not into it.

3. What can I do now with a rooted phone? Can you point me to some good source of info? Can I install now any open source app? Can I install nethack?

thanking you

Advertisement
  2. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

If you don't know what rooting is then you probably don't need it. To find out if it is successful there should be an app called 'Superuser Permissions' in your dock

3. portia

Ok, it seems rooted. As to the question whether I need it - the problem is that I just found out about the possibility of rooting a device this morning so I don't know much of it yet. I haven't dealt much with phones or android OS, but on my linux computer I believe in total customisation of everything (kernel/desktop env/apps/themes/ etc.) For that reason, I believe I'll have fun with a rooted phone. I admit I should've read more about rooting first before doing it.

Now what about this ROM option? Will I get a better set of tools. I've noticed that some basic linux tools/commands are not included on the phone's terminal app.

4. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

Best thing is to just run the phone and see how it is, then look into custom ROMs. IF you're insistant on going straight to a custom ROM then go over to XDA and read through the ROM threads over there.

You have ROMs based on Sense, ROMs based on stock Android source code and ROMs ported from other devices. I'm using the port of the Desire HD ROM at the moment and it's awesome but the only reason I've rooted is to try it. I'd happily go back to stock if the improvements made on the HD filter down to the original Desire

5. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

You can download busybox, which is a set of linux style tools.

6. portia

Thanks a lot.

I've installed busybox and read more on ROMs. For the time being I'll play with a stock one until I get more familiar with android and Desire.

7. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Thats a good idea.

As an alternative to HTC sense, it may be worth experimenting with LauncehrPro. Its an alternative launcher / user interface. You cannot use Sense widgets on it, but there are good alternatives available.

The reason I suggest this, is some of the custom roms do not have HTC sense and including these roms into the mix increases the variety of what is out there for you.