• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it safe to install doubleTwist v1.7.6 and iSyncr?

hajimeabc

Apr 20, 2012
Hello, I checked the permissions of doubleTwist v1.7.6. It requires:

Network communication: control NFC, create Bluetooth connections, full internet access
Your personal information: read sensitive log data
Storage: modify/delete usb storage contents
Hardware controls: change your audio settings, record audio
Phone calls: read phone status and ID
System tools: Allow Wi-Fi multicast reception, connect and disconnect file systems, disable keylock, dispaly system-level alerts, modify global system settings, prevent phone from sleeping

I don't think the app needs my personal info and gain access to phone calls, etc. Is this app safe? I am consider iSyncr as an alternative to move my music files from iTunes to my Android phone. Thanks.

I've just been wondering the same thing about DoubleTwist. It's popular and highly rated so it should be fine. But the permissions on this and other media players are a little baffling.

However, at the bottom of the description is a link (http://twist.to/JXw4fE) which explains why each permission is requested. The sensitive ones seem to have legitimate reasons and in most cases it looks like you have complete control at the relevant time. I fail to see how "Record Audio" is required to implement the equalizer feature (be aware that this is listed with "Change Your Audio Settings" on their explanation page but is a separate permission, as listed on the Play site)

The only question that remains is "Do you trust those explanations to be true, complete and honest?"

The same thing applies to iSyncr. They also have a link (http://www.jrtstudio.com) but are less forthcoming with the explanations. I was looking at their Rocket Music Player which has the following permission also:

• System tools
    send sticky broadcast
    Allows the app to send sticky broadcasts, which remain after the broadcast ends. Malicious apps may make the tablet slow or unstable by causing it to use too much memory. Allows the app to send sticky broadcasts, which remain after the broadcast ends. Malicious apps may make the phone slow or unstable by causing it to use too much memory.
What on earth is a Sticky Broadcast??

Upvote 0
First, I'm glad to hear you are considering iSyncr. I made the app because I'm a smart playlist fanatic, but love the openness of Android phones.

I'm not trying to hide anything by not fully explaining the app permissions. I do take them seriously though. Just recently I was considering adding the internet permission to send crash logs for iSyncr. However, I decided not to add the permission and continue to rely on users to report application crashes.

As a very very small shop, I just haven't taken the time to make a web page explaining the permissions of each app, as I've gotten maybe one email in two and a half years I've been doing this requesting explanations. If users really want explanations (the permissions themselves are transparent), I can create a page for that.

To answer the Rocket Player / Sticky Broadcast question, Rocket Player sends out its playing status as a sticky broadcast. This way anyone (AKA iSyncr) can check on the status of Rocket Player at any time by just getting the broadcast. As this broadcast lives as long as the device is turned on, a bad/malicious programmer could make the broadcast several megabytes and slow down the device as the object's lifetime is so long. Rocket Player's status broadcast is just a few strings and ints, which I don't think is anything to worry about. Of course, you'd have to trust me on that.

-Justin

Personal emails welcome - justin@jrtstudio.com

Reactions: ForkliftFred
Upvote 0
Hi Justin, good to hear from you. Can iSync fully sync iTunes from Mac to Android phone? I tried doubleTwist but the music files got messed up upon syncing on my Android phone.

Hi Hajimeabc,

iSyncr should sync your music files and playlists with Android. It also syncs play counts, skip counts, ratings and other fun stuff. As Android has 1000+ devices, I can't say "yes, this will work on your unknown device", but give it a try and let us know (iSyncr@jrtstudio.com) if you run into any issues. We'll take care of you the best we can.

-Justin

Upvote 0
Justin, you're actually on these forums?! Cool. Just wanted to say that iSyncr is awesome, and I've even bought it twice. Love your work. It's made my Android-iTunes experience seamless.

I try my best to keep up with iSyncr's user experiences, as I want you all to be happy with the software. Your support means a lot, and will result in even better software rolling out in the future! Feel free to contact me directly with issues, feature requests or reasons you like something else better.

Cheers!

-Justin

Reactions: aysiu
Upvote 0
I'm not trying to hide anything by not fully explaining the app permissions. I do take them seriously though. Just recently I was considering adding the internet permission to send crash logs for iSyncr. However, I decided not to add the permission and continue to rely on users to report application crashes.

As a very very small shop, I just haven't taken the time to make a web page explaining the permissions of each app, as I've gotten maybe one email in two and a half years I've been doing this requesting explanations. If users really want explanations (the permissions themselves are transparent), I can create a page for that.

First of all, thanks for the explanation. I eventually found details about Sticky Broadcasts but mostly they weren't very clear/helpful. I think what concerned me was the word "Broadcast" and the official explanation wasn't clear at all. I didn't mean to suggest that you were hiding anything. In my experience it is quite rare for anyone to explain their permission requirements. In most cases it doesn't take much thought to realise the purpose and I think the downloads and ratings speak volumes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones