Is it safe to purchase apps. from the market with credit cards ?

1. alone1492

alone1492 Member

Here's a dumb question, but the other day i wanted to purchase this app. on the market, but it seem to be asking awfully alot of questions and too much informations.

There's alot of informations given just to purchase a .99 cents app.
    Is this some kind of scam to get our credit card numbers and information for identity theft ?

Anyone ever made a purchase and fell victim to identity theft through the market apps ?

Advertisement
    :
  2. kilogramz718

kilogramz718 Well-Known Member

i made apurchase but never had identity theft from it since the payment is suppose to be secured i bought the new nfs
  3. NYdroid33

NYdroid33 Well-Known Member

^Yea I believe this is correct. I havent bought an apps in a while (since I found a nice website) but when I did, I thought there was some google checkout thing that automatically just charged your account.
  4. lennyjew

lennyjew Well-Known Member

What kind of info are you worried about that they're asking for?
  5. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Well-Known Member Contributor

Yes, my understanding is the payment is made thru the market, i.e. Google, much like Apple's itunes store.

I've made several purchases with it, no issues and nothing fishy on the statements.
  6. Not intentionally for identity theft. But if their database is breached, you're screwed. And databases get hacked and 'lost' all the time.
    Yes, intentionally, to flog you ever more stuff from there on in.

I pay cash whenever I can, to avoid as many registrations as possible. If I can't pay cash I rarely buy.
  7. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

The developer or Google Checkout? What information was it asking for?
  8. DaedalusxX

DaedalusxX Well-Known Member

I feel safe with Google having my information. The way it works is that when we buy apps, the money goes to Google, then Google takes their cut and gives money to the app devs.

At no point do the app devs get access to our card information (unless their app somehow gets into the market and takes your info from your account, which I don't think is possible...hopefully). Google would never risk giving the app devs access to our information directly, seeing as if anything goes wrong, we can sue Google....
  9. HoochieCoo

HoochieCoo Well-Known Member

What else are you going to use? Sea shells and bags of salt?

I haven't had any problems. I don't worry too much about it. I use a single card for all online purchases. I scan my statement every month looking for fraudulent purchases. If you see one, notify your card company and they will take it off. Throughout my life, I've had that happen a 2-3 times, and the card company was always easy to work with... and at no cost to myself. The biggest was from some person in South Korea who used my card number for a $360 purchase (and this wasn't even on a card I used online... ever).
  10. tp_technologies

tp_technologies Well-Known Member

as a developer i assure you i have never seen a single credit card number or any information form anyone who has bought an app from me. all the payments go through google. you pay google, google gives you the app, google gives me my 70% cut. Its as safe as it can get with any online purchases.
  11. alone1492

alone1492 Member

Thanks, folks, I'm feeling much better now knowing that it's pretty much safe.

BTW: I hope in the future, we can pay by Paypal as an option.
  12. Fallen Sputnik

Fallen Sputnik Active Member

no, hide your kids, hide your wife, and your husband too...google is gonna be climbing your windows :D
  13. calvin3

calvin3 Active Member

Is it possible to purchase a pre paid credit card and just use that as your form of payment?

Just wondering.
  14. lennyjew

lennyjew Well-Known Member

I would see no reason as to why it wouldn't work with a pre paid card.
  15. BookLover

BookLover Well-Known Member

Most apps I pay for in the Market go through PayPal. I only have to input my CC # is if I don't use PayPal.

Are you not seeing the PayPal option?
  16. Susido

Susido Member

I've got no worries about Google sharing any credit card information but why is the market designed so that, after your first purchase, you don't need to input any password? So that anyone with access to your phone can purchase anything on the market with just a couple of button presses?
  17. Wuufer001

Wuufer001 Active Member

no paypal option when i tried to purchase on inspire,
    Only options are the 4 diff kinds of credit cards
    Am i missing something?
  18. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Well-Known Member

The bank that held my mortgage was hacked.
    Anything can be breached.
    Am I going to worry about it? No. I have good documentation that will back up who I say I am. ;)

Stay in your house and use cash if you wish to completely do away with risk.