Is it Safe to Upgrade to Gingerbread Yet?Support

Last Updated:

1. Waggers

Waggers New Member

I've been holding back from upgrading my Desire HD to Gingerbread after reading of all the problems with WiFi and GPS (I use both a lot).

Have all the bugs been ironed out yet and should I now upgrade?

I have a UK Orange branded handset.

Many thanks.

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

The GPS thing seems to have hit vodafone branded handsets hardest, but that's only in the 2.50.405.2 S/W version, 2.36.405.8 seems to be fine. As far as I'm aware, Orange users haven't got the update based on the newer 2.50 version yet so your GPS should be fine.

There are workarounds for the WiFi problems too.

I'd do it, but obviously the choice is down to you.
    Waggers likes this.
  3. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

My Orange branded upgrade has been fine, no WiFi or GPS issues, I had the loud speaker bug appear a few days after upgrade, a factory data reset cured that
    Waggers likes this.
  4. 01gringo

01gringo Active Member

I've completely lost my wifi connection since the upgrade, don't know how to get it back either :(
  5. sonesh

sonesh Well-Known Member

Absolutely no problems on my unbranded DHD. Didn't even have to factory reset or anything
  6. Bedroom Eyes

Bedroom Eyes Well-Known Member

I was hesitant to do the 2.3 update as well when it came out on Telus, but I decided to do it and everything went fine. I've had zero problems; everything still works as it did on 2.2, and my battery life has increased a bit too. I used to be able to only get about 48-50 hours per charge, and recently I've gotten well around 60 hours (2d12h).

I'd say do it, from what I've seen, a lot more people have had no issues than had issues, and most are remidied already.
  7. andy_3_913

andy_3_913 Well-Known Member

mind if i ask, what was the gps problem to hit vodafone?
    have to admit, i don't use gps that often, but if i did, what should i be looking for?
  8. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

9. sonesh

sonesh Well-Known Member

Want to add, 2.3 also fixed a lot of the problems I was having with 2.2.

I did have a slight glitch with GPS at first, in that it wouldn't find any satelites, but I installed GPS test, which wipes the AGPS data and redownloads it.

Yesterday, I managed to get a GPS lock within 10 seconds, even in central london surrounded by tall buildings.
  10. SB13X

SB13X Well-Known Member

You considered rooting?? All the wifi and gps issues seem to be taken care of by the most popular ROM devs and you get all the benefits of GB.
  11. big_mike

big_mike Well-Known Member

since the 2.3 update there has been another, to cure the wifi issues cant say if this worked because i had no issues to start with.
    Benn_ likes this.
  12. Benn_

Benn_ Active Member

I'm on Orange, and have upgraded to 2.3.3. I have no wifi probs at all. Connects better than it did before. But i still have the GPS probs, but i had them before tbf.

Ah, glad there was, as my phone lost all signal and then re set, losing all my settings and such.
    Wasn't sure if it was my phone.