• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is it time for a factory reset?

rkaplins

Apr 27, 2010
When I first got my Incredible back in April, it was blazing fast. Now it is so slow that I have to power it on and off just to make a phone call almost every day. I remember this being a fairly commonplace occurrance for my old Windows Mobile phone so I would do a factory reset (just like my Windows computer) to get it running as fast as it was out of the box.

I don't know if it is because I have too many apps or am running too many things in the background? Everyone says that you don't need a task killer program but I look at the tasks running and there 27 programs running, of which I only need/want one or two to be running.

I know with Windows it seemed that even uninstalling the programs didn't make it better and the only solution was a factory reset.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is a periodic factory reset a pretty common thing for Android too?

Thanks.

If you haven't already, clear the cache on all your programs. Also, if you have thousands of old text messages on your phone you should delete those.

Check battery usage to see what's draining the battery, that might give you some indication of what programs are running (very often the apps shown in the task manager list are not actually DOING anything, they're just sitting idle0.

If you do decide to factory reset try not to reinstall ALL of your programs, just put those back that you actually use.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones