Is it true ...

1. Kelgorus

Kelgorus Active Member

So my dad was telling me that there will be a noticeable difference between the 32GB and the 16GB Galaxy SIII's speed because of the internal memory being bogged up EVEN if I purchase a 32GB+ microSD card and plug it in before startup (which, by the way ... Any recommendations for a good one from NCIX? I have one very closeby to where I live).

I ask because Bell Mobility looks like they are only releasing the damned 16GB version right away and waiting to release the 32GB ... I cannot wait that long for this phone I've already been sweating for the past few months waiting for my new baby!!

Advertisement
  2. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog Moderator

Not sure how much of a "Noticable" difference it will be The big difference will be in how much you can store on the one compared to the other. Now if one has a better CPU than the other then you could "Notice" a difference.
    muhammad ali85 likes this.
  3. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Yeah, TBH I don't believe it. I'm not sure how much of the 16GB is available for apps, but you aren't likely to fill it. Even if you were, I think the speed differences between internal and sd storage are overstated - I've run with apps and even the dalvik cache on sd and noticed no difference in responsiveness (despite the statements of some users and even devs to the contrary). Let's face it, when you run an app it will be loaded into RAM, after which it will make no difference where it was stored. But if you keep media on sd and apps on internal I really don't think there will be any difference at all.
  4. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

The S3 isn't utilizing "shared memory". Shard memory is when a phone has a chunk of memory and it us used for running programs and storage. The S3 has 2Gb of RAM for running the OS and programs and 16/32/64Gb of storage memory. The size of your storage memory will not make a difference in the speed of the phone.

Internal storage is faster to access than an SD card, so programs stored internally will load slightly faster than those on the SD card. Than may be what your father means by speed difference.
  5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Both the 32GB and the 16GB version of the SIII uses the same amount of RAM. Meaning one will work as fast as the other given similar circumstances.

However, it is true that a phone or any device will slow down if the memory storage it tries to read is almost full. In this case, if you fill the 16GB memory up with less than 500mb remaining, it will be slower than when it still has 2GB remaining free storage. In that scenario, it will be faster to make the 16GB version slower than the 32GB version for the fact that it takes longer to fill up 32GB than 16GB. It is also true that adding a memory card will not show any difference in how fast a device is, because its a separate drive. Think of how having an external hard drive added to a Windows machine will not make the PC read a chock full Drive C any faster. Same thing. However, if you keep maybe at least 2GB free on the 16GB internal storage and transfer photos, videos and stuff to the external memory card, you will not experience any decrease in speed whatsoever. As long as its out of the red zone in terms of file storage capacity, you're good.
  6. Omar Days

Omar Days Well-Known Member

Your dad's trolling you