• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it truly unlimited?

For the past two months my Internet has slowed down at 25gbs. I have the $60 plan.. This message is sent to me when I reach 25gbs I'm gonna call metro tomorrow to see why this is happening..

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-05-22-19-22-34.png
    Screenshot_2016-05-22-19-22-34.png
    168.3 KB · Views: 579
Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
For the past two months my Internet has slowed down at 25gbs. I have the $60 plan.. This message is sent to me when I reach 25gbs I'm gonna call metro tomorrow to see why this is happening..

Welcome to the site. :)

That's part of the MetroPCS terms, but you'll only be slowed when the tower is busy, not all the time.

"Customers who use more than 25 GB of data in a payment cycle will have their data usage de-prioritized compared to other customers for that payment cycle at locations and times when competing network demands occur, resulting in relatively slower speeds."
http://www.metropcs.com/openinternet

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
So I know this thread is pretty, pret-ty old, but I wanted to share something very.. leet's say astonishing about MetroPCS aka the Bernie Sanders of phone companies. I've been loyal to Metro for two years ++... and I will show you why.

3f42c8b.jpg

7bc374b.jpg

Lol... it's obviously not hurting them because I got my ASUS last year, my cycles are pretty much consistently similar to these, and it's worked flawlessly ever since with the help of a VPN and EasyTether (best tethering app btw I've tried all). Internal tether does work well, but ALWAYS disconnects eventually. And that sucks when you use this as your ISP.

I kinda feel like a douche.. but at the same time.. IT'S HARD OUT HERE YOU FEEL ME?!!

As a trucker I use my boost mobile as my everything. I'm switching to metro to see if their coverage is as good as it says with unlimited data. I consistently use over 150+GB a month in streaming and never been throttled but recently ended up in a situation where I had to wait on the side of the road for someone with a Verizon phone to stop so I could call for a tow truck cause on the i80 in western Wyoming boost phone didn't have service. So time to see if the metro PCs claims of service in the area I broke down are true. Wish me luck laddos!

Upvote 0
I'm gonna guess you're going to be singing a lot of I Can't Get No Satisfaction... oftentimes a capella during lost signal...and I'm a Metro and / or Tmo user for a decade.

For that kind of on the road / all over the place coverage, only Project Fi has any chance vs Verizon... and of course, it won't suffice for truly unlimited.

Life sucks, and then we die...

Upvote 0
how is it you can use that much data on tethering.. thats not hotspot data am i correct. let me know how you use easy tether pto to use that much data and i do plan on using a VPN . many thanks

Pdanet from the playstore, no VPN needed, always did the trick in the past.

I've personally chosen to not do this - all of a sudden this year I rarely see areas without WiFi anymore, and I'm very happy with the unlimited unthrottled data on the phone.
It's like smoking, if I give in I would Tether SO much...

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Metro PCS -- Grade: F- (Slower than 97% of the USA) *

I just switched to Metro a few months ago (joined February 2016), they were advertising a few promos. I eventually wound up with a 6GB for $35/mo., which sounded like a good deal. And I recall seeing online about getting slowed to 3G after you used up your high-speed data allotment (I thought, Slowed to 3G, that's not so bad!).

However, I was appalled, when I recently hit/passed my 6GB, at how severely I was throttled, basically down to zero! What a rude awakening!

NO apps work (not enough data to get anything to work), the apps just stay stuck on the spinning circle (formerly the "hour glass").

So you get slowed to essentially 0 (0.04 Mb/s Download), nowhere near 3G speeds, and completely unusable.

This is false advertising. And anyone not on their unlimited plan should file a formal complaint.

You have to see the SS to believe it.

I post it so that you all BEWARE if you decide to switch to Metro PCS!

Check the Grade (EPIC Failure, Metro PCS), the percentile, "slower than 97% of the United States of America"!

2124618519.png

BEWARE! You will be throttled. Switch at your own risk!

BTW, *I generalize this to all plans except their "unlimited" plan. It seems no one who posted above and is on that plan has noticed any throttling on their connections...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm sorry but is this new news to you? Companies have been doing this for awhile now....sprint does it now since they don't have a affordable unlimited plan,ATT charges like 10 bucks a gig over...t mobile used to throttle back in the day.... seriously spend a little more money and just get the unlimited data and quit complaining...I used 65 gigs just last month and it was awesome...

Upvote 0
Or just stop using so much data. The service isn't meant to replace joke internet. I know that it get pricey; I'm spending $70/Mo with metro (two phones on the $40 plan) and $89/Mo for Verizon (now Frontier) FiOS. At home in always on Wi-Fi. When I'm not home, I think I've never gone over two and a half gigs of data. I still use it a lot, just not for video watching. My Spotify and Google Play music streaming is free on the plan.

Upvote 0
I dont know how you can say its unlimited, truly unlimited when you post a link that tells you it throttles after 28 GB.

"DATA AT UP TO 4G LTE SPEEDS!

On all plans, during congestion the top 3% of data users (>28GB/mo.) may notice reduced speeds until next payment cycle".

Yes its unlimited just look at this

https://www.metropcs.com/cell-plans.html

Upvote 0
I have 2 $60.00 unlimited plans and I am a super user. I use on average 45 GB of mobile data and 35 to 40 GB of wi-fi per month and yes Metropcs does throttle and it states that in its data disclosure. Also because T-Mobil is the parent company to Metropcs they give priority to all T-Mobil customers. And between 3 o'clock at 7 o'clock p.m. the speeds are reduced dramatically. So I'm kind of lost when commentators state that they use over 100 gigabytes a month and noticed no throttling whatsoever, that's just not true. This is the exact wording, check for yourself.

DATA AT UP TO 4G LTE SPEEDS!

On all plans, during congestion the top 3% of data users (>28GB/mo.) may notice reduced speeds until next payment cycle.

Upvote 0
I have 2 $60.00 unlimited plans and I am a super user. I use on average 45 GB of mobile data and 35 to 40 GB of wi-fi per month and yes Metropcs does throttle and it states that in its data disclosure. Also because T-Mobil is the parent company to Metropcs they give priority to all T-Mobil customers. And between 3 o'clock at 7 o'clock p.m. the speeds are reduced dramatically. So I'm kind of lost when commentators state that they use over 100 gigabytes a month and noticed no throttling whatsoever, that's just not true. This is the exact wording, check for yourself.

DATA AT UP TO 4G LTE SPEEDS!

On all plans, during congestion the top 3% of data users (>28GB/mo.) may notice reduced speeds until next payment cycle.
This is the ol' recipe of a pinch of in theory vs in practice, plus a dash of nearby circumstances/events can and often do change at any moment. . . added to the main ingredients of x # towers @ particular geographical location...
As some on here report single-digit MB normal speeds vs others 100+.

For example yours truly:
I some months use 100gb, others only 30...and in NYC sometimes I see no throttle, others throttling is only very fast LTE(100+gb) to very fast HSPA(28-40)
When I spent 4 days in Williamsburg, VA - during the day, once the tourist hordes had awakened and arrived, half the time you didn't get a signal & the rest of the time the signal was only good for calling / couldn't even check email with it...outdoors ONLY at that - forget about indoors.
After dark things would improve to @ 20mb... & indoors was now ok.
All that be it a Saturday or Monday.

And you had to stay within city confines, or you would not get any signal.

Upvote 0
I dont know how you can say its unlimited, truly unlimited when you post a link that tells you it throttles after 28 GB.

"DATA AT UP TO 4G LTE SPEEDS!

On all plans, during congestion the top 3% of data users (>28GB/mo.) may notice reduced speeds until next payment cycle".
It only slows you down if the tower if full to capacity and it still doesn't throttled you. Your speeds just slows down a little bit. Once the tower if free then speeds are normal.

Upvote 0
Its not about towers... Run your data to max... N you will see difference a person like me that work with raw data know what im talking about i have been with metro since 2004 when metro didn't have the idea of having a smart phone or even able to run under 4g lte. In 2013 iwas running upto 90mbs until the notice this boom of tethering n rooting took their control out of their hands. Try it yourself run your data upto 32gb of data en two to two1/2 weeks n you will experience when they throttle. Do not take my words test your for yourself. [emoji41]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones