is it worth debranding?

Last Updated:

1. alackman

alackman Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have a locked and branded tmobile desire with froyo 2.2 software number 2.12.110.4 on it. I am not really that interested with rooting as to be honest I dont have the time to look into custom roms etc and am quite happy with it at the moment...however, after updating to 2.2 i do get an anooying bug that no one seems to be able to answer - it gets locked in airplane mode whenever the phone turns on. After contacting tmobile tech about this they said that I could either wait for the tmobile fix release of the german cock up or root it. I waited and last night get the tmobile update - but still same problem. Im thinking that maybe I will debrand and put on a generic HTC rom on which will in kiling the 2nd bird allow me to get in the front of the queue for any future updates (if they come!) Im hanging in for the new sense!

so is it worth it? - Ive read up on goldcards etc but as someone who is probably more than twice the age of most on here feeling a little anxious at just how much information there is and trying to find a step by step guide to the whole process of debranding the phone. any support would be gratefully recieved.

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

You will need to make your current SD card into a gold card both to debrand and to receive future OTA updates.

You debrand by connecting your phone to your PC and running a generic RUU (Rom Upgrade Utility) from the PC.

This is the latest generic european one:

Shipped ROMs

1) Make the goldcard as described here:

Droid Den - Android Guide: How To Create a Gold Card - Droid Den

It says use a spare. Use your Normal one. Back it up to PC first

2) Download the RUU

3) Connect Desire to PC. Run the RUU .exe from PC.

It will wipe your phone completely. All data will be lost, but its worth a try to fix your issue.

alackman likes this.
  3. alackman

Thanks Dan. I will give this a go when I get a chance. In terms of backing up my stuff. SD card, contacts, text, calendar no problem but is there a way to back up the apps installed. I have appbrain, will this do it and more importantly can I back up my scene I have rather than having to add widgets and foldets etc. Eg I have folder organiser and a few customized folders etc

4. SUroot

You can try MyBAckup on the market. Not sure how much it will back up, but its worth a shot.

5. alackman

once ive made a gold card, im aware that this needs to be in phone whenever updating etc - supposing i eventually got around to buying a larger sd card, would i be able to just make a new gold card and all would be well when keeping that one in phone or does it have to be exactly the same one as originally made?

6. SUroot

You can make a new one, but you will probably have to go through the whole process again. I dont think you can use anything needed to generate your first card to make the second one.

But yes, basically :)