• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it worth getting a Verizon Unlocked galaxy?

Hi guys , first time posting on this forum.

As the title states I was wondering if its a good idea using a Verizon unlocked phone for gsm carrier like tmobile/MetroPCS . I currently have an AT&T (unlocked) s5 currently didnt give me an issues until now(LCD Screen is bad) I had gotten an offer to get one off groupon but it was a verizon unlocked phone. I was wondering if ill get slower speeds if i use their phone.I have no issues with connectivity with my current phone and i really dont want my speeds to suffer because of it. I heard that verizon phones dont have the booster setting. Any help will be appreciated .

-Kevin

The speeds will be the same, but the Verizon has fewer matching bands...
so, the potential of loosing coverage "might exist"

I just finished up a 10 day onslaught of trying to see if I could use my Verizon stuff on TMO and take their offer of "cheaper service".

matching the bands was one of the things that I looked into, and you can view those here, scroll down a bit.
Cellular frequencies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wireless Coverage Map & Carrier Reviews - AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, Tracfone

This link takes you to the portion of a thread where we discussed TMO
Unlimited data plan price increase | Page 2 | Android Forums

My end result was, I could NOT afford the loss of coverage, so abandoned my search.

Upvote 0
The speeds will be the same, but the Verizon has fewer matching bands...
so, the potential of loosing coverage "might exist"

I just finished up a 10 day onslaught of trying to see if I could use my Verizon stuff on TMO and take their offer of "cheaper service".

matching the bands was one of the things that I looked into, and you can view those here, scroll down a bit.
Cellular frequencies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wireless Coverage Map & Carrier Reviews - AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, Tracfone

This link takes you to the portion of a thread where we discussed TMO
Unlimited data plan price increase | Page 2 | Android Forums

My end result was, I could NOT afford the loss of coverage, so abandoned my search.
Well that might save me time then. I think ill probably have to find another tmobile or at&t phone. :/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones